• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

Bridgy 81

And of course there is Michy Batshuayi.
and Baba Rahman.
Chelsea signed him for a reported £14M+ in 2015 initially on a 5 year contract.
In the intervening years he’s played just 15 league games for them but has had multiple loans in Germany, France, Spain, Greece and last season at Reading.
Somehow though it seems that his contract has been extended twice during this time.
His current one expires in 2024 (then they’ll probably award him a testimonial).

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
and Baba Rahman.
Chelsea signed him for a reported £14M+ in 2015 initially on a 5 year contract.
In the intervening years he’s played just 15 league games for them but has had multiple loans in Germany, France, Spain, Greece and last season at Reading.
Somehow though it seems that his contract has been extended twice during this time.
His current one expires in 2024 (then they’ll probably award him a testimonial).

Like I said earlier in this thread. Chelsea do alright out of the loan deals, they get a fee and sometimes a hefty fee (if the players doesn't get games) for the loan. They aint paying the wages, but looks good on the accounts as you have a player that's worth more (in theory) but costing Chelsea nothing, a nice long contract gives a decent length of time for value to the books and depreciating slowly. The player may become good enough, or they sell them on and profit overall.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Like I said earlier in this thread. Chelsea do alright out of the loan deals, they get a fee and sometimes a hefty fee (if the players doesn't get games) for the loan. They aint paying the wages, but looks good on the accounts as you have a player that's worth more (in theory) but costing Chelsea nothing, a nice long contract gives a decent length of time for value to the books and depreciating slowly. The player may become good enough, or they sell them on and profit overall.
Don't you hate Chelski !

angelic upstart

Don't you hate Chelski !
Loads of clubs do it. Wesley at Villa is another decent example. Chelsea started it off though. Man Yooo do it too, just often without the loans, but I don't understand why.

DB9

Don't you hate Chelski !
Just being pedantic, "Chelski" is not relevant anymore. 🙂

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just being pedantic, "Chelski" is not relevant anymore. 🙂
Sorry - old habits die hard but Chelsh1t still appears to be operating like Chelski and ruining young British footballing talent by mothballing them elsewhere.

tonykellowfan

I am a bit surprised that someone like Newcastle doesn't come in for Ampadu. They have money to burn and his performances for Wales must mean that he is looked at.

Reactions: WXF

DB9

Sorry - old habits die hard but Chelsh1t still appears to be operating like Chelski and ruining young British footballing talent by mothballing them elsewhere.
Sadly as others have said they're not unique in this. I seem to remember that changes made about young players/academy were done to benefit PL clubs while crapping on clubs like ours, Of course it was spun to look like the PL were helping young players but in reality it just meant the bigger clubs could hoover up the talent from smaller clubs and pay derisory monies in compensation.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sadly as others have said they're not unique in this. I seem to remember that changes made about young players/academy were done to benefit PL clubs while crapping on clubs like ours, Of course it was spun to look like the PL were helping young players but in reality it just meant the bigger clubs could hoover up the talent from smaller clubs and pay derisory monies in compensation.
"Hoovering up the talent" effectively removes it from other "smaller" clubs and creates an advantage for the Chelsh1tes of this world.
I had hoped that the Fan Led Review would have recommended that lower league clubs producing talent for "hoovering" would be properly recompensed but it appears strangely silent here.
Hope that in his "new" role Taggy will keep banging the drum for large clubs paying reasonable fees when they hoover.
UTC

DB9

"Hoovering up the talent" effectively removes it from other "smaller" clubs and creates an advantage for the Chelsh1tes of this world.
I had hoped that the Fan Led Review would have recommended that lower league clubs producing talent for "hoovering" would be properly recompensed but it appears strangely silent here.
Hope that in his "new" role Taggy will keep banging the drum for large clubs paying reasonable fees when they hoover.
UTC
Of course it creates an advantage for the PL clubs, That's why they did it, The FA/PL shafted the rest of the FL the day they brokeaway and created the PL and ever since all any new things brought in is always to the advantage of the PL, As for the fan led review that was prompted by the ESL project, That'll be kicked down the road until they get a real watered down review and tell everyone how "Brilliant" they are.