• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lincoln City v Exeter City Match day thread!!

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
You said I missed your point - I can't see your point. If I'm missing it, then please explain it to me. My post was to try and figure out what you can't understand people not wanting to sit in a seat in an away end doesn't offer the choice of a specific standing area.
I don't understand why you don't understand that seats are for sitting on.

AmberRed

Is that Callum Rowe in the crowd at 6:13?
Yeah, he was there with a few mates just in front of us and then saw him outside by the coach talking with a few of the players.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
My post was to try and figure out what you can't understand people not wanting to sit in a seat in an away end [which] doesn't offer the choice of a specific standing area.
I for one do understand that, and appreciate the contribution you and others make to the atmosphere and that the players respond to our support.

My point throughout has been that rights come with responsibilities, and this doesn't give you carte blanche to override the wishes of other supporters who can't or don't want to stand. Unfashionable I know in the "me, me" world we now inhabit, but a bit of empathy for those who disagree with you might be appropriate here.

And even accepting that the law doesn't actually prohibit standing in front of your seat (clearly unenforceable even if it did...) each Club's ground regulations do, at least in theory. So if you stand, you do under sufferance and not as a right.

Exeter City Football Club: Ground regulations - Exeter City FC

13. Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress, unless the area is a designated safe standing area. Persistent standing in seated areas (other than designated safe standing areas) whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the Ground.

Lincoln's are the same:

3 Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the Ground.

There is surely some middle ground to be found here. It will presumably only be an issue at a proportion of our away games this season - those where there is only one, all-seated, area of the ground and where the home club does not require or enforce occupying the seat to which each ticket applies.

ps

I can foresee the biggest problem being at Argyle, where if past experience is any guide the most confrontational contingent will force their way into the area nearest the Argyle fans, regardless of ticketing and ground regulations. Maybe a lunchtime kick-off will help, but I doubt it.

iscalad

I for one do understand that, and appreciate the contribution you and others make to the atmosphere and that the players respond to our support.

My point throughout has been that rights come with responsibilities, and this doesn't give you carte blanche to override the wishes of other supporters who can't or don't want to stand. Unfashionable I know in the "me, me" world we now inhabit, but a bit of empathy for those who disagree with you might be appropriate here.

And even accepting that the law doesn't actually prohibit standing in front of your seat (clearly unenforceable even if it did...) each Club's ground regulations do, at least in theory. So if you stand, you do under sufferance and not as a right.

13. Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress, unless the area is a designated safe standing area. Persistent standing in seated areas (other than designated safe standing areas) whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the Ground.

Lincoln's are the same:

3 Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the Ground.

There is surely some middle ground to be found here. It will presumably only be an issue at a proportion of our away games this season - those where there is only one, all-seated, area of the ground and where the home club does not require or enforce occupying the seat to which each ticket applies.

ps

I can foresee the biggest problem being at Argyle, where if past experience is any guide the most confrontational contingent will force their way into the area nearest the Argyle fans, regardless of ticketing and ground regulations. Maybe a lunchtime kick-off will help, but I doubt it.
As I said in a previous post, it needs proper stewarding.

Grecian Max

Lincoln's are the same:

ps

Lincoln have a large section specifically for singing where a good 1,000 stand so those ground regs are rinse and repeat across the country. The local authority will have deemed the standing there safe otherwise the ground would have been closed. Basically they mean nothing, hence the stewards weren’t interested.

Running to the stewards and police to get people to sit down is doing exactly what you say but the other way round - overriding the wishes of other supporters. The point here is she could easily have sat elsewhere and had loads of choice as to where. No rights were infringed. The seats weren’t allocated so she had to no specific seat to be attached to. You’re just plain wrong I’m afraid. It’s nothing to do with a me me me culture - if anything it’s the sitter kicking off that is making it about themselves, looking to spoil the majority (standers) day!

Grecian Max

I don't understand why you don't understand that seats are for sitting on.
Nothing in the law says they’re mean to be sat on, just the provision that they are there in case you do.

5-10 years time we’ll have standing and seated bits everywhere thanks to safe standing finally being pushed through. I’ve been to some games in Europe and it works well.

In the meantime, in the often cavernous space of an Exeter City away end with seats, if there’s a group standing, just move somewhere else, view will be nigh on exactly the same. I’ve done this myself lots of times if I don’t fancy standing. People just look for things to moan about.

REDMIKE

That must be a first !

I’ve lost count of the times I’ve seen Razor ejected from away grounds for various misdemeanours.
He was ejected at Sutton before the game started.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I notice that the Club's video was bigging Razor up, I hope they understand what they're doing.
I must have missed this, how were they bigging him up?

gbjpc

In the meantime, in the often cavernous space of an Exeter City away end with seats, if there’s a group standing, just move somewhere else, view will be nigh on exactly the same. I’ve done this myself lots of times if I don’t fancy standing. People just look for things to moan about.
I accept all that but at what point do the masses who turn up late accept that it’s they who have to go to the masses of empty seats that nobody else wanted to sit in. You don’t necessarily have the right to expect everyone else to move just before kick-off

Boyo

The point here is she could easily have sat elsewhere and had loads of choice as to where. No rights were infringed. The seats weren’t allocated so she had to no specific seat to be attached to. You’re just plain wrong I’m afraid. It’s nothing to do with a me me me culture - if anything it’s the sitter kicking off that is making it about themselves, looking to spoil the majority (standers) day!
A few points:
In any stand in any stadium around the world, the most popular seats/standing areas are typically the middle sections, towards the back (of course there are exceptions, particularly in massive stadiums). The reason is that the view is often superior.
Most people accept the unwritten rules that at away games the back sections closets to the goal will likely be occupied by people wanting to stand. Exeter fans are no different to any other set of fans in this respect. When the number of seats is greatly superior to the number of people, it rarely causes a problem.
At Lincoln there wasn't loads of empty seats, as you can see in the image below. The ones that were empty were towards the touchline or the first couple of rows, which offer the poorest views. So people wishing to sit had to opt for an inferior view, whilst standers can breeze in at 14:55 and take the best spots.
In the image there are people standing in the gangway about three rows from the front. That's wrong and selfish.
It's a shame Lincoln didn't open up more space as that would have curtailed any problems, but at the same time people just need to be a little more aware of others and have some empathy.

1659367107034.png