• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
The transfer window is just starting up really, the knock on effect hasn't started yet either.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We need more than one striker. We have lost Phillips, Amond, and Zanzala from last seasons squad. We need 2 strikers.
I agree, although I do wonder if Taylor will give Sonny Cox as much chance to prove himself this preseason before he signs a second new striker. Baring in mind we play with one main striker with Brown in behind we could cope with just 3 strikers on the books. It’d be a risk though with Nombe’s fitness record.

IndoMike

My prediction is 5 signings, 2 or 3 will come very close together.
I was just being sarcastic about the bus service, Snoop, and the "it will be like the buses" comment. Not meant to be a serious comment.
We'd all like to hear about some incomings so that we can have something to get our teeth into, but clearly we can't compete with most Div 1 teams for wages. There is also the question of harmony. Even if we could bring in someone on 5k a week it might unsettle the squad a bit.
Clearly Matt is waiting for the dust to settle, see which players are currently surplus to requirements, and hoping to get some good youngsters through his contacts and
based on our reputation as a club that is welcoming, crisis-free, and able to develop the youngsters.
I have no unrealistic expectations for this season. I predict 16th place for City and that would be fine for me.
Looking forward to all those big matches, big crowds, and seeing how our U23 age group perform in Div 1. Can't come quickly enough.

StudentGrecian

I think it depends on what we can get in the current market, and which youngsters will be available to us for loan. I feel MT's preferred choice would be to send Cox out on loan for another 6 months of mens football after he has completed pre-season with us, and then reassess on his arrival back once he has had more game time. But all depends on what we can bring in, rather Cox given time than another Phillips type coming in.

Red Devon

Grecianpasty

Max O'Learys future in doubt at Bristol City due to them signing a new keeper to compete with Bentley for the number 1 spot.

He looks like a real option as a loan or permanent signing. Some good experience at Shrewsbury.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
MT just said in tonight’s post match that nothing is imminent re transfers and he reiterated about having to be patient for the loan players he wants. He said he’s looking forward to see who we can bring in over the next couple of weeks!

StudentGrecian

MT just said in tonight’s post match that nothing is imminent re transfers and he reiterated about having to be patient for the loan players he wants. He said he’s looking forward to see who we can bring in over the next couple of weeks!
Listening to him, it does sound like all our business is going to be done through the loan market. Which I’m not sure is ideal, but happy to trust in KMT.

If we are targeting players with league one pedigree/experience for loan, then the market we are operating in will be relatively small. Be interesting to see what he can bring in!

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Listening to him, it does sound like all our business is going to be done through the loan market. Which I’m not sure is ideal, but happy to trust in KMT.

If we are targeting players with league one pedigree/experience for loan, then the market we are operating in will be relatively small. Be interesting to see what he can bring in!
Yeah my thoughts exactly. What worries me is what happens if our targets go elsewhere. Losing Sonny Cox tonight highlights how light we are up top and that’s an area we need to get right.

But as you say, KMT obviously has a plan and all the noises seem to point to him being confident we can get his targets. I guess we’re an attractive club for a parent club to loan to, which should see us bring in some quality. It’s just up to the players to want to come here too.

StudentGrecian

Yeah my thoughts exactly. What worries me is what happens if our targets go elsewhere. Losing Sonny Cox tonight highlights how light we are up top and that’s an area we need to get right.

But as you say, KMT obviously has a plan and all the noises seem to point to him being confident we can get his targets. I guess we’re an attractive club for a parent club to loan to, which should see us bring in some quality. It’s just up to the players to want to come here too.
Agreed, the more experienced pro may decide a loan move isn’t worth it from the relocation/family aspect.
Not sure how true it was about Akinde rejecting us a few seasons back, but I think it highlights that they are more likely to go elsewhere/benchwarm at their parent club, than perhaps a young pro who is desperate to make it in the game.
So I imagine it’s a difficult market we are fighting in. However as you say, MT seems confident, so in him we trust.