• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

George Ray to Orient

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just saying it's an option if desperate, TBH with 3 at the back, one of them can easily switch to a sweeper type, how tall was Baresi? Ridiculous comparison I know, but not all back 3 players need to be 6 foot plus. Steve Potts wasn't much taller.
You only have to look at JMT for a more recent example. Not that Harry would be used back there in anything other than an emergency, we had four senior centre backs out for those games. Most lower league sides would have been stretched and Harry played well.

Pobbop

You only have to look at JMT for a more recent example. Not that Harry would be used back there in anything other than an emergency, we had four senior centre backs out for those games. Most lower league sides would have been stretched and Harry played well.
Yeah, I'm just saying it's an option, a guy who can play lwb lb LCH if that's a thing will probably be brought in or in old money a left-sided defender. I miss when things were simple.

IndoMike

I would tend to agree with this as well to some extent, although I would say Ray was slightly better in the air than Martin.

Ray was a good signing for us at the start of last season, but with Stubbs showing his class from Christmas onwards, the continued development of Hartridge, the emergence of Diabate as now a first team player, and Alfie Pond coming through someone add to make way and for the sake of the budget with the money Ray is probably on this makes sense.

I would assume that MT is probably looking for a LB that could also play LCB as well. Basically similar to what Grounds was if indeed he decides not to sign. That way one player can fulfill two positions.

As much as people don't want to hear it, I'm led to believe that the budget is tight this year and so we will have to have a smaller squad in order to bring in enough quality.
And I agree with your comment that Ray was probably better In the air.
Yes, Matt has said that"the budget doesn't change if
Well there's the argument for having sufficient cover

Pobbop

And I agree with your comment that Ray was probably better In the air.
Yes, Matt has said that"the budget doesn't change if

Well there's the argument for having sufficient cover
Not really, you can't budget for that type of bizarre happening, if you did you'd have squads of 40. It was bizarre, and we drew against FGR at FGR with that happening, so we managed against irritatingly the best team in the division..

grecIAN Harris

From what I've seen and read and what a very good friend of mine told me who has played at a level of football much higher than you or I have so therefore actually knows what he's talking about. They are similar body shape, similar style of playing.
Did your mate tell you that George is ten times better in the air than Martin and is a leader at the back unlike Martin. Beyond that, they're both 6'4"-6'5" and lean. Given a choice of George or Martin, I'd have George all day long.
In his current situation, it's probably the best decision for George. At his age he wants/needs to be playing first team football but whilst he stays here he is always going to be playing second fiddle to Stubbsy (and quite rightly to as Stubbsy is the best centre half we've had since Shaun Taylor) and he is blocking the pathway of Chieck.

Bridgy 81

Just saying it's an option if desperate, TBH with 3 at the back, one of them can easily switch to a sweeper type, how tall was Baresi? Ridiculous comparison I know, but not all back 3 players need to be 6 foot plus. Steve Potts wasn't much taller.
Another Italian example is Fabio Cannavaro. He’s 5ft 9in, unless he’s grown since his playing days!
There’s more to defending than just being able to out jump/out muscle your opponent e.g. positional sense and anticipation plus my particular favourites, blocking and shirt pulling/holding.
He captained Italy to a World Cup Final win from centre back, as well as winning numerous club honours.
Not sure he’s available for us now though as the last I heard he was coaching the Chinese national team.

IndoMike

Not really, you can't budget for that type of bizarre happening, if you did you'd have squads of 40. It was bizarre, and we drew against FGR at FGR with that happening, so we managed against irritatingly the best team in the division..
Of course I didn't mean have four back 3 in reserve, but I repeat it's unlikely that Stubbs can play 50 games in a season, and then other injuries/suspensions can occur. We have 4 back 3 players plus Alfie Pond. It will be a big step up for Alfie to play in League 1, So in my opinion we need I more back 3 player.

Rosencrantz

Of course I didn't mean have four back 3 in reserve, but I repeat it's unlikely that Stubbs can play 50 games in a season, and then other injuries/suspensions can occur. We have 4 back 3 players plus Alfie Pond. It will be a big step up for Alfie to play in League 1, So in my opinion we need I more back 3 player.
We do need another if Jonathan Grounds doesn't sign but it won't be a CB like George Ray, it will need to be a left sided one.

dontpassback

I hope George ray does well at Leyton orient,his leaving tweet was very telling on how he liked it here,and he was always looking on the positive side

grecIAN Harris

I hope George ray does well at Leyton orient,his leaving tweet was very telling on how he liked it here,and he was always looking on the positive side
Unless I've missed something, where does it say he is going to Orient?