• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh Mr Beeching!! 🙂
I think the gentleman was Dr Beeching.

#misterpicky

• Haha
Reactions: DB9

Grecian2K

Chris Wolmar knows his stuff, might be an interesting read

(y) Cheers Hants (y)
"Kindle" edition purchased and downloaded. As you say, looks an interesting read by an author acknowledged in the subject of railways (albeit a bit "lefty" :p)

Alistair20000

Someone should have sung this:

Who Do You Think You Are Kidding Dr Beeching
If You Think Our Railway's Done ?
We Are The Boys Who Will Run Our Little Trains
We Are The Boys Who Will Make You Think Again
'Cause Who Do You Think You Are Kidding Dr Beeching
If You Think Our Railway's Done?

Oldsmobile-88

A wonderful image that was bizarrely on the ECFC Museum page.
Station Yard,Queen St Station(Central) around 1920.
complete with a LSWR Motor Coach (any ideas CB where it would be going to ?)

The photo shows the access to the station from the path that connects Queen St to New North Rd, if you walk along there, one can still see the access gate in the wrought iron fencing even though it’s not been used since 1933 when the station was rebuilt following a large fire the previous year.

45B60FF4-F31C-47C1-8E26-64FEA56B91F3.jpeg

Colesman Ballz

A wonderful image that was bizarrely on the ECFC Museum page.
Station Yard,Queen St Station(Central) around 1920.
complete with a LSWR Motor Coach (any ideas CB where it would be going to ?)

The photo shows the access to the station from the path that connects Queen St to New North Rd, if you walk along there, one can still see the access gate in the wrought iron fencing even though it’s not been used since 1933 when the station was rebuilt following a large fire the previous year.

View attachment 8697
Haven't got a clue Olds. The GWR certainly used motor coaches in Devon, to extend their services (from Moretonhampstead to Chagford for example), but have not heard of the LSWR doing similar. Do you reckon that those are solid rubber tyres on the front wheels ?

Great photo though !

Oldsmobile-88

Haven't got a clue Olds. The GWR certainly used motor coaches in Devon, to extend their services (from Moretonhampstead to Chagford for example), but have not heard of the LSWR doing similar. Do you reckon that those are solid rubber tyres on the front wheels ?

Great photo though !
Definitely solid..A rough old ride for the driver !

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
This might be of interest.

Looking into this a bit, I see that when the Yeovil-Exeter line opened in 1860, there was a horse bus provided between Axminster and Lyme Regis. Evidently, few horses patronised this, so it was decided to construct a branch line in 1874. I'm sufficiently ancient to remember being taken to the centenary event at Central in 1960.

Colesman Ballz

This might be of interest.

Looking into this a bit, I see that when the Yeovil-Exeter line opened in 1860, there was a horse bus provided between Axminster and Lyme Regis. Evidently, few horses patronised this, so it was decided to construct a branch line in 1874. I'm sufficiently ancient to remember being taken to the centenary event at Central in 1960.
My Dad took me along to that too. Great fun being able to examine the locos on display in the goods yard ( Merchant Navy 35003, together with the venerable ancient LSWR Radial and Well Tanks).

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
My Dad took me along to that too. Great fun being able to examine the locos on display in the goods yard ( Merchant Navy 35003, together with the venerable ancient LSWR Radial and Well Tanks).
I can remember the Adams Radial tank being there, but that's about all really. You must be a year or two older! :)

Colesman Ballz

I can remember the Adams Radial tank being there, but that's about all really. You must be a year or two older! :)
They were on display with wooden steps provided to access the cabs. The Beattie Well tank later re-enacted the arrival of the first train hauling surviving LSWR "Gate Stock" coaches into Central from St James Park Halt. I am relying not only on my memory here but also photos published in a book, so less of your cheek Mr Hound ! :)