• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep, you'd think the Greens would be celebrating Thatcher for having closed down the mines.
There was no Green Party at that time and global warming was not an issue at that time. The fact remains that if you are going to shut down a huge industry (by stealth) you need to be able to have an ",oven ready" alternative. The striking did what any real man would do to protect his family and community, i.e fight

Oldsmobile-88

There was no Green Party at that time and global warming was not an issue at that time.
The UK had the Ecology Party at the time, putting up candidates in most parliamentary constituencies 1979 & 83, becoming The Green Party in 1985.

The major environmental issue with UK coal burning at the time was Acid Rain which was dumped on Scandinavia via emissions on the prevailing winds. Whole forests were destroyed.

arthur

Yep, you'd think the Greens would be celebrating Thatcher for having closed down the mines.
Johnson made just this point to boost the Tories green credentials!

arthur

Part of the issue with Northern Ireland for Johnson and his incompetent bunch of comedians is that Northern Ireland is the proof that brexit was not only bad but made significantly worse by his over ready deal for the UK
And to be fair to them the DUP didn't consent to this deal (both parts of it - withdrawal and TCA). Their consent didn't matter then, but apparently it does now. Would the last Tory in the room please explain this to me?

IndoMike

The UK had the Ecology Party at the time, putting up candidates in most parliamentary constituencies 1979 & 83, becoming The Green Party in 1985.

The major environmental issue with UK coal burning at the time was Acid Rain which was dumped on Scandinavia via emissions on the prevailing winds. Whole forests were destroyed.
The Green Party in the UK was founded in 1990, although there were groupings of other folk with concerns about ecology prior to that
I insist that the environment was not a major issue at that time, and nobody suggested that the mines were being closed to protect the environment : it was all about our inability to produce coal at a competitive price.
I also insist, and it was my main point, that if you are going to destroy the mining communities and the livelihoods of so many you should have a plan in place to renew those areas and create new jobs first.
Of course, people who were not affected by the demise of the coal industry couldn't give a toss what happened to it or what happened to the people who worked in it.
Mines were not closed because of the fear of global warming, and it's a bit rich for people to justify the closures because of it.
I guess those same people have cars, make flights abroad, and have negative footprints. Perhaps they should make sacrifices in order to protect the planet. Fancy losing your car and your holidays abroad to reduce your carbon footprint?!

Oldsmobile-88

Mike..Who suggested the mines were being shut due to global warming ? 😎

IndoMike

Mike..Who suggested the mines were being shut due to global warming ? 😎
Nobody suggested that the mines were closed down due to global warming, but the fact that coal is now considered to be a major factor is not a justification or excuse for closing down so many mines and communities without first providing alternative industries and incomes. It's not valid to look at this issue retrospectively.

elginCity

And to be fair to them the DUP didn't consent to this deal (both parts of it - withdrawal and TCA). Their consent didn't matter then, but apparently it does now. Would the last Tory in the room please explain this to me?
The DUP didn’t consent to the GFA either. They don’t feel secure without an internal border, and never will.

Pity Tavy is no longer around these parts to reassure us all.

DB9

The DUP didn’t consent to the GFA either. They don’t feel secure without an internal border, and never will.

Pity Tavy is no longer around these parts to reassure us all.
The DUP never consent to anything unless they're in charge, They had to be kicking and screaming to sign the GFA, Now they're no longer top dogs in NI they've chucked their toys out of the pram, Only thing is they're too stupid to realise the Tories only use them when they need to then dump on them.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
The conspiracy theorist in me wonders that since there is a slight majority in NI that are in favour of the protocol, Johnson is trying to annoy them into voting for independence. Thereby ridding himself of the whole problem.