• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What was the last cheese you ate?

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Did you spot Stroudy with his Rooibos and Tartex purchases ?
Possibly so, the Waitrose definitely catered for the Green party vote. Loads of decent middle Eastern and north African food choices. It was all very nice and mostly very overpriced. Cool town though Stroud is to be fair.

I was staying a few miles outside Dursley, which wasn't quite as cool but I had a nice coffee from a little town called Berkeley and got some dirty cheese for a barbecue I was having later.

The cathedral city was a poor version of my normal basic cheddar (Aldi extra mature) but inoffensive enough to keep my young ones happy.

Colesman Ballz

Possibly so, the Waitrose definitely catered for the Green party vote. Loads of decent middle Eastern and north African food choices. It was all very nice and mostly very overpriced. Cool town though Stroud is to be fair.

I was staying a few miles outside Dursley, which wasn't quite as cool but I had a nice coffee from a little town called Berkeley and got some dirty cheese for a barbecue I was having later.

The cathedral city was a poor version of my normal basic cheddar (Aldi extra mature) but inoffensive enough to keep my young ones happy.
Cathedral City is from Cornwall innit, enuff said ! :cool:

angelic upstart

Cathedral City is from Cornwall innit, enuff said ! :cool:
We know it's not Plymouth!

STURTZ

Cathedral City is the Doombar of the Davidstow brand. Acceptable product but has lost a lot through over production. If you want a real taste of Davidstow see if you can get your hands on a piece of Craggy, wonderfully sharp with a genuine farmhouse flavour. Sharpes brewery however have completely lost any kind of authenticity they ever had, their beers are all best left alone.

Last edited:

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wolf down a fair bit of Cathedral City. I hope this isn't a very wrong thing to do, but dogs tend not to be that fussy. One cheddar I did dislike was called Pilgrims!

iscalad

I wolf down a fair bit of Cathedral City. I hope this isn't a very wrong thing to do, but dogs tend not to be that fussy. One cheddar I did dislike was called Pilgrims!
Pilgrims Choice. Have decided to put their cheese in less packaging to be environmentally friendly. This then means you have to put it in a plastic bag, clingfilm or foil to keep it fresh in the fridge. Idiots.

angelic upstart

Cathedral City is the Doombar of the Davidstow brand. Acceptable product but has lost a lot through over production. If you want a real taste of Davidstow see if you can get your hands on a piece of Craggy, wonderfully sharp with a genuine farmhouse flavour. Sharpes brewery however have completely lost any kind of authenticity they ever had, their beers are all best left alone.
Must say I quite like a pint of Atlantic from time to time, usually if I'm getting blotto.

I stay about a mile away from their brewery when I stay in Cornwall.

Alistair20000

Reference to mass produced factory cheeses on this thread disappoints me 🙁

Colesman Ballz

Must say I quite like a pint of Atlantic from time to time, usually if I'm getting blotto.

I stay about a mile away from their brewery when I stay in Cornwall.
Since Sharpes were taken over, to meet increased production, brewing of Doombar also takes place in Burton on Trent and that brewed there just doesn't taste the same. Now tradionally they brew some great beers there, but they should stick, to those rather than "murder" excellent brands that they take over. On visits to Holland I acquired a taste for Grolsch lager, but since production was moved to Burton it tastes like "stale p**s" ! :mad:

Maybe Atlantic is still brewed locally and hasn't "gone for a Burton" ! :unsure:

StroudGrecian

Cheer AU, though of course one cannot purchase Tartex at Waitrose (yet). There is also a sushi bar there, though I've never seen anyone buying any.

Berkeley is famous for its castle, where Edward II met his grisly end.

The nearby Salutation Inn has its own microbrewery and is well worth a visit. I wouldn't know about their cheese though.