• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Planning application for new training ground facilities

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
There may be an option for us to renew the lease after 25 years and/or compensation for improvements made such as the current building.

There may on the other hand be no such provisions and/or a requirement to remove the new building.

Does anyone know the terms of the lease ?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
In the history of Exeter City 25 years is a long time!

Boyo

In the history of Exeter City 25 years is a long time!
It's very rare for commercial leases to be anywhere near 25 years long. The vast majority would more likely be 3, 5 or 10 years. It's nothing like a leasehold on a residential property, where you'd be looking for 100+ years.

Andy_H

In the history of Exeter City ANY FOOTBALL CLUB 25 years is a VERY, VERY long time!

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's very rare for commercial leases to be anywhere near 25 years long. The vast majority would more likely be 3, 5 or 10 years. It's nothing like a leasehold on a residential property, where you'd be looking for 100+ years.
No it isn't, there's loads of commercial properties with 99, 125 and even 999 year leases.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
No it isn't, there's loads of commercial properties with 99, 125 and even 999 year leases.
Quite, as a former redevelopment capital accountant for Plymouth City Council I can confirm that the whole of the Plymouth city centre redeveloped properties (following war time destruction and CPO purchases) were given 99 year leases. Similarly, when I was on the Trust Board about 15 years ago, Exeter City Council were amenable to granting a 125 year lease on St. James Park provided we paid a very prohibitive £3m plus premium. They weren't amenable to selling the freehold!!

Last edited:

ExmouthMart

I believe Cliff Hill wasn’t always seen in such a good light. I seem to remember a mystery coach tour to Beer years ago to protest outside the great man’s house……. Surely we should have our own site and then we don’t have to worry about lease’s etc. I know the cost of land but if we can raise @£40000 for dish washers and white boards, maybe a local farmer might sell us a field somewhere. Better than more student flats and ‘new’ towns that seem popular with all those lovely property developers……..

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe Cliff Hill wasn’t always seen in such a good light. I seem to remember a mystery coach tour to Beer years ago to protest outside the great man’s house……. Surely we should have our own site and then we don’t have to worry about lease’s etc. I know the cost of land but if we can raise @£40000 for dish washers and white boards, maybe a local farmer might sell us a field somewhere. Better than more student flats and ‘new’ towns that seem popular with all those lovely property developers……..
I have said for many years that I would like to see the Trust try to buy the land directly opposite the Cliff Hill for a later potential ground move. With the land currently only having an agricultural valuation surely the cost wouldn't be that prohibitive.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I suspect the location of the C&F is an advantage when bringing prospective signings down as it is so easy to get to off the M5. That area is really taking off since Westpoint, Greendale Business Park etc opened there so I'd imagine buying land anywhere there wouldn't come cheap.

Boyo

Well according to the FT the average length of a commercial lease is 2 years, 3 months, which would suggest that the vast majority are considerably less than 25 years. You're tallking about buying a commercial property with a leasehold. The Cliff Hill is land that we rent, with our own infrastructure on top.