• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor to Charlton?

Average Joe

If and when Taylor leaves who do you seriously think the favourite would be?! Especially with the Club Board? Would be a seamless transition with none of the changes an ‘outsider’ Manager would bring. Surely this time if it happened we be calling the shots, so no rolling contract we couldn’t ultimately afford to pay up.
I don’t think I’ve ever read any negative comments about him from players he’s worked with. Joey Barton wasn’t very complimentary but who is he to judge anyone……
I don’t think anyone wants to see Taylor gone right now but in the fickle world of football that could change quickly. Obviously the way we operate makes things different but the possibility of another good season and he could be gone and then what?……
We have one of the best youth set ups in English Football we produce more talented footballers then most premiership clubs, We have talented youth coaches, managers and staff in general. I'd continue to promote all the way to the manager position.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
We have one of the best youth set ups in English Football we produce more talented footballers then most premiership clubs, We have talented youth coaches, managers and staff in general. I'd continue to promote all the way to the manager position.
That's one hell of a statement there, We have a dam good youth set up but saying it's better than most PL clubs? I'm not so sure (This is in no way putting any slight on our set up)

Average Joe

That's one hell of a statement there, We have a dam good youth set up but saying it's better than most PL clubs? I'm not so sure (This is in no way putting any slight on our set up)
I'll back it as well, most prem clubs get credit or raising one good player, we've raised many. If we were in the championship we would have been able to sell players for millions just like Southampton did.

Walcott was sold for 9.75 million, if Southampton was in league two at the time he'd have gone for 4 mill max. Obviously this is all my uneducated opinion and probably slighty biased.

tonykellowfan

Average Joe, unfortunately you are indulging in major wishful thinking.

It terms of the number of professional footballers who are currently playing, the number from our academy is nothing special when compared to other league clubs.

Reactions: DB9

tonykellowfan

See for example: https://trainingground.guru/articles/manchester-united-top-2020/21-academy-productivity-rankings

Which puts us 35th for that year 20/21, still an amazing effort but the idea that we are comparable to the prem is ridiculous.

Average Joe

See for example: https://trainingground.guru/articles/manchester-united-top-2020/21-academy-productivity-rankings

Which puts us 35th for that year 20/21, still an amazing effort but the idea that we are comparable to the prem is ridiculous.
Brilliant post.

budegrecian

We rank 35th, but this is based on England eligible players, so won't include Ethan for instance.

Spoonz Red E

A useful measure as far as it goes.
I notice there is no weighting for the amount of games played though (only one game needs to be played by the player to post a score for the club).

Also interesting when you look at our score (12.5) for players playing at the level of the parent club which is, I think, important in terms of how good a club is at producing a progression pathway to the first team. Our score there is one of the highest in the table. With a promotion winning team - very impressive.

andrew p long

the method of compiling those stats is completely rubbish. Ethan Ampadu doesn't get included because he isn't eligible to play for England (despite being born in England!). Ollie Watkins 37 starts in the Premier League last season gets equal weighting with a Premiership club giving a youth product a token 3 minute sub appearance in the last game of the season - both count as one Premiership player. Archie Collins 46 appearances last season counts the same as Will Dean's 2 appearances.

If you are a Premiership club who give a handful of youth products a handful of minutes that blows City's figures completely out of the water

The 35th place completely understates the actual impact of our academy players. To do this properly requires adjusting for both number of appearances and for non England eligible players like Ampadu.

PS Budey and Spoonz beat me to it!

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looks like Matt's work over the season have been acknowledged by Sky now

Will that make the move to Charlton more likely ?