• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
On the subject of police and crime commissioners, what is the point of them? What do they do?
Bearing in mind, many on the right suggest the police are very woke now, it's worth noting that nearly all of them are conservative.
Although in the cases of London and Durham they’re both Labour. I’ll leave you to speculate as to why one was happy to weigh into the debate around partygate and the other has largely kept out of the alleged beergate scandal.

DB9

Although in the cases of London and Durham they’re both Labour. I’ll leave you to speculate as to why one was happy to weigh into the debate around partygate and the other has largely kept out of the alleged beergate scandal.
Nothing to speculate, I'd imagine as London Mayor and PCC (Why both I'm not sure) he'd been asked by journos on numerous occasions for his view ?

Alistair20000

I blame the Lib-Dems for agreeing to a rushed referendum on AV, this is the single biggest mistake in British politics in a generation.

The Liberals should have insisted on legislation for PR being introduced at the next GE in return for their support
for the Coalition govt.
The Conservatives were not prepared to offer that Suzi. Had they not joined the Coalition I think Call Me Dave would have formed a minority government looking for an early further GE later in the year as happened in 1974.

IndoMike

Dont forget its the Tories, who were too slow to lockdown resulting in thousands of excess deaths , spent billions on useless track and trace system and gave contracts to their cronies. In addition the government's failure to protect elderly and vulnerable residents inside care homes is the single biggest scandal of covid.
Oh, they will forget, dear friend. Swept under many carpets.
It's all Labour's fault...!

IndoMike

So, the whole point of Brexit was to "take back control". Therefore, as a man of his word 😅 😅, I assume that Johnson will ignore Pelosi's warnings and bluster ahead with changes to the protocol despite that affecting potential trade deals with the Yanks.
Or has Boris got himself into a right old tangle because he forgot Ireland existed during the Breckshit champagne campaign?
Actions have consequences, Party-man.

The US House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi, has warned that unilateral UK legislation affecting the Northern Ireland protocol could endanger British prospects for a free trade deal with the US.

Pelosi’s bluntly worded intervention came two days after the UK foreign secretary, Liz Truss, confirmed that the government was planning to table legislation that would nullify parts of the protocol by exempting some goods moving between Great Britain and Ireland from EU customs checks.
Pelosi made clear that she viewed the protocol as essential to maintaining the 1998 Good Friday peace agreement which minimised border controls between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

12 years of pain, and it's all Labour's fault.

DB9

DM and DE front pages say what a waste of money the partygate investigation was, That's their opinion fine but I presume the money being spent on Starmer's is just the same waste then? 🤔🙄

tavyred

Fair to say ‘dodgy dossier’ Al didn’t take yesterday’s news too well. 🤣
I do like on occasions to read his hyperbolic deranged rantings, Brexit has turned him quite mad and it makes me happy. 🤣

DB9

Fair to say ‘dodgy dossier’ Al didn’t take yesterday’s news too well. 🤣
I do like on occasions to read his hyperbolic deranged rantings, Brexit has turned him quite mad and it makes me happy. 🤣
Well, You go on Twitter you'll find all sorts, Its not the real world, Best to keep off it. Bit like TV show discussions , Just because they're talking about it doesn't mean it's popular, Its only popular in their own little worlds and they think people listen to them, Guess what, We don't.

elginCity

Leaving aside the medium to convey that message, Twitter, and the messenger, Ali Campbell, the facts he listed are indisputable.

He’s also correct in observing that a fish rots from the head, and the smell is bad right now.

Reactions: DB9

IndoMike

The cost of decommissioning the UK’s seven ageing nuclear power stations has nearly doubled to £23.5bn and is likely to rise further, the public accounts committee has said.

The soaring costs of safely decommissioning the advanced gas-cooled reactors (AGRs), including Dungeness B, Hunstanton B and Hinkley B, are being loaded on to the taxpayer, their report said........

Failures in the government’s investment strategy for the fund, which was set up to pay for the decommissioning, have led to the taxpayer topping it up by an additional £10.7bn in just two year......

“The handover agreement does not appear to sufficiently ‘incentivise cost efficiency and ensure a smooth transfer of defuelled stations to the NDA’.”

It will cost the UK taxpayer £132bn to decommission all the UK’s civil nuclear sites and the work will not be completed for another 120 years, according to latest estimates.

Boris Johnson has pledged :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: to build eight nuclear power stations in eight years. But the UK has no facility for permanently and safely storing the waste from past, present or future nuclear power stations. Most is currently stored at Sellafield, one of the most complex and hazardous nuclear sites in the world.