• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Planning application for new training ground facilities

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
You're right. There should be a plan.
Regarding Project 6000 : what's that? When was it started?
Obviously promotion should help achieve that, but if we hadn't gotten promotion, what exactly was Project 6000? What did it entail?
Were we expecting 6000 crowds average if we'd stayed in L2?
It's all explained on the Trust website.

IndoMike

Probably why people think you're over reacting.
To be honest, I don't really care what people think.
Maybe we should go back to this 6 months down the line and see who was overreacting and who was "under-reacting".
Hopefully you'll be proven right, but I have my doubts. See you end of November..

Red Monster

Just listen to Matt .
Look at the state of the place ,it needs replacing now,
no arguments.

JCWhoosh

Top class facilities that are long overdue could actually bring revenue to the club, attract better players to sign and help a sustainable push in being a consistent league 1 team. Speculate to accumulate and all that.

Grecian Max

To be fair I can see both sides to this.

It’s pretty rare that City would spend near enough £3m on anything - in fact is that the largest ever amount laid down by the club?

It’s completely reasonable to look at the high likelihood of recession, further price rises etc and think it’s possibly not the right time to put that money down, despite its very obvious advantages in having such a facility. Shouting down Indo seems a little unfair, my own independent thought was the same as his.

I trust those in charge and I’m sure due diligence has been done however it does feel like this could fall either way. Don’t want to look back on this as a critical error. There will be a time where costs will be less relative to economic conditions so it’s a case of do you want to wait 5/10 years for that to be the case. Personally I’d favour caution, find an in between solution and remember that we have pretty good facilities away from the structures for our level.

To be sustainable in League One we need a number of things to go for us and it wasn’t too long ago we were begging the PFA to pay the wages under Trust ownership so it hasn’t been all roses.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
There's also a cost of not doing this now in addition to inflation meaning it could be more in future...and that's the cost of patching up the current facilities year on year.

Colesman Ballz

There's also a cost of not doing this now in addition to inflation meaning it could be more in future...and that's the cost of patching up the current facilities year on year.
And the rate of interest on the money we have set aside is peanuts compared to the spiralling inflation and likely increased building costs resulting from a further delay !

Red red

Let’s be honest SJP is a good little ground now , not the antiquated ground we did have improve the training ground , improve the environment to work will definitely help bring in players to improve ECFC .
3mil is a lot but onwards and upwards. Personally looking to put more in when I pay my trust membership hopefully more will and that will help pay for it from acorns .

PeteUSA

We are sure that our lease agreement of the training ground with Clifford Hills family is watertight aren't we? Thats one aspect I haven't seen mentioned yet - Spending a boatload of money improving facilities on land we only rent. Obviously Clifford Hill was City through and through, are his descendents just as devoted?

AndrewP

We are no worse off than we were 12 months ago or so - by which I mean the club having secured a windfall paid the trust back all outstanding loans - forget the amount but circa £800k?. Effectively, if they hadn't they could of used all of the Ollie gift for this development. All that's happening is the club is borrwing it back again!....to complete the development - a scenario allowed for when the vote was taken for the development first time around.

It needs doing, for the continuation of our outstanding academy which, let's make no bones, is the reason we're in the position to do this in the first place. To maintain league 1 and, dare I dream, progress to the championship we have to be able to attract a suitable calibre of player, it's their primary workplace - 4(5) days a week. A ramshackled, rotting, damp, ancient, delapidated cricket pavilion where we can't feed the players or wash their kit is hardly going to do that!!.

it's a sod, of course it is, but delaying will be significantly more destructive to our future.

And, dare I dream, if Championship opportunity does come knocking - that opens a whole new can of challenges. Not least of which, the condiiton that (as current rules stand I'm led to believe) within 3 years of promotion your ground has to be all seated!!.....Our current footprint at SJP does not facilitate anywhere near the match day and non matchday revenue to make that transition an easy one!.

Get it build, I for one will be proud when it opens.

Last edited: