• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor to Charlton?

Memphis09

It would be interesting to be in Matts head now, does he think he can take this team further, does he feel any obligations to continue at Exeter? If he went who would he look to take with him? Stubbs, Nombe, Key, Hartridge, Brown, Dieng, maybe even be in a position to buy Dawson? Could build a bloody good League 1 side with that nucleus and a few solid Championship players.
On that basis we have a bloody good side

Memphis09

Yeah he’ll be earning six figures. And if Charlton, or anyone else for that matter, offered to treble his wages that’s life changing money and would surely be hard to turn down
Yes but if things don’t work out he could be gone from Charlton within in the year
Surly better to stay with city at least for another couple of seasons prove yourself in Div 1 then see what is on offer
Still relatively inexperienced

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
With all this speculation (Which I'm inclined to think its more "Paper talk" than substance until there is something from the club) I do feel that although on here we think MT will stay because all the things mentioned, I don't think anyone has mentioned that the club has got to show him they're seriously ambitious about moving the club forward on the pitch. Off it, It is nearly job done with the improvements to the C&F, The stadium is as good as it will ever get i think so the attention has to turn to the playing side.

MT will have already sat down with the club to work out what next season will be budget wise and the type of player we can bring in, Hopefully it will be enough for us to consolidate our L1 status and build on from there but if MT is as ambitious as i think he is he will want "Guarantee's" that its not going to be a hard slog. I look back to Holloway's tenure at those down the road, They were in the top 6 of the Championship at that time and IH asked for funds for that January transfer window for that extra push to have a real go at going up to the PL but didn't get them, He then left probably thinking they'll never go up without that extra push and looked what happened. I'm not comparing like for like but just that IH wanted the club to equal his ambition but they didn't and he left, Any manager worth anything are ambitious people and going to a club where perhaps the owners don't give the time we do i don't think would be a problem for MT because I'm sure he has faith in his own ability and it wouldn't phase him.

MT's stock is high at the moment but he knows like we all do that could change very quickly and he might like the idea of managing a bigger club now, We don't know if it would work out for him but i wouldn't blame him for giving it a go. But its not set in stone he's going, No matter what we think on here, All i would like the club to do is show him a plan/vision of where we're going as a club and hope he'll like what he sees.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone thinking Matt shouldn't go to Charlton because "he could be sacked this time next year" needs to give their head a wobble. By the same token he could be preparing a championship squad. Likewise, he could stay, Dieng, Brown and Nombe get injured, we go down, and the chance never comes around again.

If any offer is right, Matt will go. If it isn't, he will stay. Either way, ecfc will continue to grow.

IndoMike

What wallet would that be??
The wallet which contain a bigger payment from the League and which hopefully will form part of a well-deserved increase in playing budget for our exciting next season in League 1.
Which wallet did you think I was talking abut? Yours?

iscalad

The wallet which contain a bigger payment from the League and which hopefully will form part of a well-deserved increase in playing budget for our exciting next season in League 1.
Which wallet did you think I was talking abut? Yours?
Dear God....
Would you think that the piddling amount we get for being promoted will hopefully go to the existing players as a reward for getting promotion.

Grecian2K

Dear God....
Would you think that the piddling amount we get for being promoted will hopefully go to the existing players as a reward for getting promotion.
I think you might find that, thanks to the way EFL funding is split the "rewards" for reaching league 1 are much more tangible!

For example, in 2020 (the most recent year I can find) in L2 Exeter received £450,000.

A roughly comparable L1 club (Shrewsbury) received £675,000 core funding.

Assuming a similar kind of split in 2022 I would respectfully suggest than an additional £225,000, while admittedly not life-changing can hardly be called "piddling".

With additional funding toward academy costs of around £425,000 and "community" projects of around £125,000 this should take next year's share of EFL/PL munificence north of £1M - certainly not something to be sniffed at?!

IndoMike

Dear God....
Oh my dear God and sweet Jesus.
Obviously you were not following the argument.
G2K has provided you with more info. We receive several hundred thousand extra as participants in League One.
I think Matt Taylor deserves to be allotted a considerable portion of that money - he has earned the right-
to improve the playing side. It's motivation for him to know the club will back him, otherwise he might get p*ssed off and want out.
Since the aforementioned funding is extra to L2 payment and average attendances should be closer to 6k than 5k, plus we have
several assets, yes, I think we should invest more on the playing side, without throwing the boat out.
You speak as if spending any money frightens you...Austerity rules..

Grecian Max

It would be interesting to be in Matts head now, does he think he can take this team further, does he feel any obligations to continue at Exeter? If he went who would he look to take with him? Stubbs, Nombe, Key, Hartridge, Brown, Dieng, maybe even be in a position to buy Dawson? Could build a bloody good League 1 side with that nucleus and a few solid Championship players.
All players under contract, that list is worth c£3.5m+ to purchase, Charlton don’t have loads of money and a owner hated by fans (after a previous owner which they also hated)

I think MT will leave but taking any of those with him is fanciful.

Our summer targeting world be stuffed though.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh my dear God and sweet Jesus.
Obviously you were not following the argument.
G2K has provided you with more info. We receive several hundred thousand extra as participants in League One.
I think Matt Taylor deserves to be allotted a considerable portion of that money - he has earned the right-
to improve the playing side. It's motivation for him to know the club will back him, otherwise he might get p*ssed off and want out.
Since the aforementioned funding is extra to L2 payment and average attendances should be closer to 6k than 5k, plus we have
several assets, yes, I think we should invest more on the playing side, without throwing the boat out.
You speak as if spending any money frightens you...Austerity rules..
But we still have the training ground redevelopment to pay for, the costs of which are likely to be higher than originally budgeted for. It was also stated that we expected to receive, I think, 1.2 million of windfall income that would be needed to fund the redevelopment. While our recent income is above expectation I would guess we are still somewhat short of that figure.

More generally, it was stated a couple of years ago at, I think, a Trust AGM that the club needed to match the ambition of Matt Taylor. Well, I think with the new pitch and the training ground redevelopment that has been done. Conversely, Matt Taylor has shown that he can be trusted with a larger playing budget.