• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

Red Monster

I see Charlie Austin has been released by QPR.
He was halfway through a 2 year contract there but the second I understand was dependent on him playing over a specific number of matches this season, which he didn’t do.
That said he did feature in over 30 league games, quite a few of those from the bench though I think.
He’s obviously been paid Premier League and Championship wages for many seasons but he’ll be 33 in July and if he has any interest in developing a coaching/managerial career he maybe up for a role passing on his experience to Sam and our other incoming striker/s whilst being more than handy as a player still, either with or occasionally instead of Sam or maybe coming on as a sub for 30 minutes or so.
I realize this is unlikely but he seems to have had a fairly nomadic career in terms of playing for various clubs in different parts of the country including, albeit a while ago, Poole, Swindon and more recently Southampton, so let’s hope he also enjoyed living in South and West and fancies a return for a year or two on reasonable terms!
Apart from his wages being way out of range , he’s regular on
Talksport most weeks as a Co presenter, so could be a problem travelling from
Devon into London to do the drive time show .

Agent Andy

What about goalkeeper Alex Smithies set to be released by Cardiff at 32 years old, only a suggestion?
Will be another loan , hopefully Cam

Memphis09

Yet he averaged around 10 goals a season over a 10 year period. Not that bad either.
Yes agreed but people criticised Bowmen for his scoring record but at least he could run and jump
Flack as I say was a good club servant that’s all

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes agreed but people criticised Bowmen for his scoring record but at least he could run and jump
Flack as I say was a good club servant that’s all
The problem with Bowman was that the timing of his jumping was a bit off. Flack was a fighter, which in that era you needed.
Also, as pointed out, he was usually surrounded by poor quality players.

jimmy

Steve Flack took a pay cut to continue to play for Exeter City...with offers on the table from league clubs.

Memphis09

Steve Flack took a pay cut to continue to play for Exeter City...with offers on the table from league clubs.
Should of gone then

Cowshed Grecian

The problem with Bowman was that the timing of his jumping was a bit off. Flack was a fighter, which in that era you needed.
Also, as pointed out, he was usually surrounded by poor quality players.
Flacky was a fighter, literally. An ex boxer.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Flacky was a fighter, literally. An ex boxer.
What do you mean 'was a fighter'? Still is and will pick a fight with anyone regardless of age of sex, ask anybody at the Winkleigh - Tipton St John game earlier in the season that ref abandoned because of Flackie's behaviour.

jimmy

Should of gone then
I assume you mean he 'should have' gone?

Well, he didn't. He stayed with a very young team and played hundreds of games for a fraction of the wages the likes of Bowman would have been on.

Squeezebox

Can we not turn the Summer Transfer Thread into a Flackie was great/rubbish debate please! (No, I'm not a Mod!!)