• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pre-season friendlies 22/23

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Alphington/Countess Wear(?) CC breathing a sigh of relief re Saturday 9 July.....

robchave

Suggestion for 23/24. How about a trip to Brittany? Just 'over the water' from the South West and a few higher league and second level teams around - Brest, Lorient, Guincamp, Rennes, Nantes.. Plus lots of holiday accommodation for travelling fans.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Suggestion for 23/24. How about a trip to Brittany? Just 'over the water' from the South West and a few higher league and second level teams around - Brest, Lorient, Guincamp, Rennes, Nantes.. Plus lots of holiday accommodation for travelling fans.
Isn't that Bertie Cozic's neck of the woods ?

IndoMike

I remember we played v Rennes a long time ago at SJP. At that time they were a lower league team and I think we won 4-0. Twin city, innit?
I think your idea is great, but won't happen.

Colesman Ballz

I remember we played v Rennes a long time ago at SJP. At that time they were a lower league team and I think we won 4-0. Twin city, innit?
I think your idea is great, but won't happen.
I remember going to an Exeter v Rennes match at SJP in the early sixties and being bitterly disappointed as I expected to be watching the Grecians only to discover it was a team of local Exeter amateur players put together for a "Twinning" match. I think that I may still have the programme somewhere, although again it was something produced by the Council.

IndoMike

I remember going to an Exeter v Rennes match at SJP in the early sixties and being bitterly disappointed as I expected to be watching the Grecians only to discover it was a team of local Exeter amateur players put together for a "Twinning" match. I think that I may still have the programme somewhere, although again it was something produced by the Council.
Can't remember the details, Ballzy, but I think you're right. Like it was a civic thing rather than a pro footie thing. In the name of friendship (cos we've always been great friends with the French). Still recall a 4-0 scoreline, though.

robchave

I see that Rennes (4th), Nantes (9th), Brest (11th) and Lorient (17th) are all Ligue 1, whereas Guingamp finished 6th in Ligue 2. I saw Lorient a couple of seasons ago and thought them a rather pretty L1 equivalent. The French Ligue 1 has a very big range, rather like the Scottish Prem.

With Timothee in the team and connections through Bertie, we should be able to arrange something. Would be a good idea to create links and perhaps pick up some decent players.

Come to think of it, I wonder if ECFC would like a scout for the French leagues? I could squeeze it in for a few beans and expenses!

Squeezebox

Can't remember the details, Ballzy, but I think you're right. Like it was a civic thing rather than a pro footie thing. In the name of friendship (cos we've always been great friends with the French). Still recall a 4-0 scoreline, though.
I was there as well and seem to remember one of the Rennes players wearing glasses!! I also remember City v Bolivia La Paz and FC Kickers Offenbach!!

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
I see that Rennes (4th), Nantes (9th), Brest (11th) and Lorient (17th) are all Ligue 1, whereas Guingamp finished 6th in Ligue 2. I saw Lorient a couple of seasons ago and thought them a rather pretty L1 equivalent. The French Ligue 1 has a very big range, rather like the Scottish Prem.

With Timothee in the team and connections through Bertie, we should be able to arrange something. Would be a good idea to create links and perhaps pick up some decent players.

Come to think of it, I wonder if ECFC would like a scout for the French leagues? I could squeeze it in for a few beans and expenses!
I am sure playing that level of side would be more beneficial than playing the locals every year. I really enjoyed the trip to Scotland a few years back, the football was pants but the social side was excellent. A trip to to France along similar lines would be right up my Allez!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not easy for the big clubs to come to places like exeter for a psf. They normally have deals with sponsors etc that they'll tour Asia or America for pre season as this forms a big part of their commercial revenue, grows the fan base etc etc. I don't blame them.

We generally seem to start the season pretty well so whatever we do pre season seems to work fine. I'm happy to keep it local with the semi pro sides like Tivvy and Weston, but it would be nice to have a local(ish) game against decent opposition like Bristol City or Cardiff. Just avoid any stupid games like the one we had 7 or 8 years ago when the opposition decided to try and cripple all our players, possibly Bodmin?