• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Yay or Nay: The Royal Family

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
The ‘Mickey mousers’ have booed the National anthem for years. Anti-establishment city is Liverpool, always has been.
Was it true what the MoS said though?

tavyred

Was it true what the MoS said though?
Like you I didn’t see it, but it was all over SM, so I think it’s true.
I’m just surprised, other people were surprised, like I said it’s what the Scousers do.
I’m not the biggest Royalist, so I was more hacked off they apparently booed through Abide With Me. It’s never going to happen but, if City got to the Cup Final, singing AWM would have me in bits, such is the tradition.
Big clubs eh? 🤷‍♂️

DB9

Like you I didn’t see it, but it was all over SM, so I think it’s true.
I’m just surprised, other people were surprised, like I said it’s what the Scousers do.
I’m not the biggest Royalist, so I was more hacked off they apparently booed through Abide With Me. It’s never going to happen but, if City got to the Cup Final, singing AWM would have me in bits, such is the tradition.
Big clubs eh? 🤷‍♂️
Yep, AWM and City together at a Cup Final would be enough to well up, Even the thought of them being resented to the RF would be quite emotional too, Funny what football and your club does to you as a person. 🤷‍♂️

Oldsmobile-88

Some nonsense on SM about the booing, I think the most bizarre one was Mrs T being to blame !
Not sure what the connection is to someone who has been dead for a decade 😁

Just as well BJ was not being presented to the teams, he has ‘put his foot in it’ a few times where scousers are concerned.

Colesman Ballz

Some nonsense on SM about the booing, I think the most bizarre one was Mrs T being to blame !
Not sure what the connection is to someone who has been dead for a decade 😁

Just as well BJ was not being presented to the teams, he has ‘put his foot in it’ a few times where scousers are concerned.
I think if 96 Grecian fans died in a tragedy and the Prime Minister was busy laying the blame on them being responsible for their own demise, you might feel somewhat different Olds. And let's not forget that the South Yorkshire Police were her pet army of bully boys she used to crack miner's heads too !

Oldsmobile-88

I think if 96 Grecian fans died in a tragedy and the Prime Minister was busy laying the blame on them being responsible for their own demise, you might feel somewhat different Olds. And let's not forget that the South Yorkshire Police were her pet army of bully boys she used to crack miner's heads too !
But why boo Prince William & the National Anthem at a Cup Final.

Spoonz Red E

A bit of context in the link below.
Many in Liverpool saw the Government in the 80s as intent on running Liverpool down.
They would say that apart from weakening the miners, unions and manufacturing, Thatcher also used Government to take away Local Government powers.
Other events in the interim haven't helped to dissuade them of that view.

Maybe there's current annoyance too at a Queen's speech not addressing the cost of living crisis.
So there's a possible list of reasons in their view.

The Daily Mail attempting to build up the outrage now at something which has happened for a good while will probably be added to the list.

Oldsmobile-88

A bit of context in the link below.
Many in Liverpool saw the Government in the 80s as intent on running Liverpool down.
They would say that apart from weakening the miners, unions and manufacturing, Thatcher also used Government to take away Local Government powers.
Other events in the interim haven't helped to dissuade them of that view.

Maybe there's current annoyance too at a Queen's speech not addressing the cost of living crisis.
So there's a possible list of reasons in their view.

The Daily Mail attempting to build up the outrage now at something which has happened for a good while will probably be added to the list.

I think it was festering well before the 1980s Spoonz.

I love visiting the wonderful Liverpool History Museum on the Waterfront, it’s a fascinating look at Liverpool & how Liverpudlians perceive their own history & that of the outside world looking in.
They certainly have a unique slant on life.Its rightly got a rough reputation at times, but I’ve always found anyone will speak to you, including on one memorable occasion Wayne Rooney’s cousin(he was the image) when I was looking on a council estate in Croxteth for a particular house that my better halfs mum was brought up in.

Mr Jinx

Are you suggesting Liverpool fans were not at all to blame for the day's events?

Yes, the police messed up by opening the gates, but one could argue that if they didn't, a god awful crush would've happened outside the stadium instead.

I must admit, I got really tired of the excuses wheeled out to admonish Liverpool fans of all blame for this stuff that happened in the eighties.

You know - about Heysel there was the big cover up that Chelsea fans had in fact travelled over to Belgium that day and instigated the Heysel thing. And that there was no way the cheeky chappy scousers could have done all that bad stuff.

Liverpool fans were well known for travelling to away games ticketless then storming the gates at the last minute. Who can forget the Liverpool/Everton FA Cup final in 85 where we saw fans outside scaling Wembley's walls...and how we guffawed at their temerity?

I used to live right next to the QPR away end gate in Shepherd's Bush for some years, and for Liverpool's first away game not even 4 years after Hillsborough, they came down in their thousands all camped outside our house ticketless trying their best to force their way in. It caused a right kerfuffle and the riot police turned up at some point. I remember thinking wtf - did they learn nothing?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Obviously nothing Mr Jinx , But these were some of the scenes only last year of fans trying to gain entry without a ticket.