• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List

Christian

I know Johnson was out with Covid for a good few months earlier in the season, and didnt even play an u23 match until Jan this year.

Red Monster

Just seen that none of the 2nd year academy lads have been offered
a pro contract,can’t remember the last time that’s happened.
That includes Archie‘s twin brothers .

tonykellowfan

Apart from Pond.

Red Monster

Apart from Pond.
Sorry I forgot he wasn’t a first year pro .

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just seen that none of the 2nd year academy lads have been offered
a pro contract,can’t remember the last time that’s happened.
That includes Archie‘s twin brothers .
Yikes! I was just about to ask what had happened to the second year scholars/U18s.

Bit surprised re Eli Collins who I thought looked useful. However it shows how tough it is and how much pruning goes on at each step. City have released quite a few after one year as a pro recently (like Louis Morison last year and Veale + Johnson this year). Perhaps have decided to be a bit more ruthless at first pro contract stage.

As mentioned the one player from the U18 age group retained is Pond, but IIRC he had a pro contract already.

Christian

Its just an opinion as well. Look at Jack Stafford.....who was recently signed by Swansea....

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yeh and Vale away
H did OK at Vale but nothing more than that, it wasn't a great performance by us. Not being critical, just saying I didn't watch him in that game and think "we must sign him, what a player", I watched him and thought "he did OK and it's a decent point".

Boyo

Yikes! I was just about to ask what had happened to the second year scholars/U18s.

Bit surprised re Eli Collins who I thought looked useful. However it shows how tough it is and how much pruning goes on at each step. City have released quite a few after one year as a pro recently (like Louis Morison last year and Veale + Johnson this year). Perhaps have decided to be a bit more ruthless at first pro contract stage.

As mentioned the one player from the U18 age group retained is Pond, but IIRC he had a pro contract already.
Being in L1 raises the bar for the academy, and almost inevitably, fewer players will make it. Listening to the MT interview however it sounds like a couple of them were very unlucky, as they were released as their pathways were blocked by existing youngsters (Cox and Diabate).

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Being in L1 raises the bar for the academy, and almost inevitably, fewer players will make it. Listening to the MT interview however it sounds like a couple of them were very unlucky, as they were released as their pathways were blocked by existing youngsters (Cox and Diabate).
Does that have to be the case? Argyle have beefed up theirs and they are established L1 these days.

So is this the beginning of the end of the Academy as it has been in recent years? Or just a blip?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
H did OK at Vale but nothing more than that, it wasn't a great performance by us. Not being critical, just saying I didn't watch him in that game and think "we must sign him, what a player", I watched him and thought "he did OK and it's a decent point".
I've seen him in a few of the cup games and would have agreed with your assessment. But, buoyed perhaps by his first league start, he looked different gravy in that Stevenage game.