• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I get all this and accept that Matty T is probably just being pragmatic.

But, genuine question, were you at the Stevenage game? I only ask coz I though Rowe was much more than 'tidy' in that particular game. Impressed me as much as Grimes on his debut against AFC Wimbledon.
Yeh and Vale away

CWH-NYC_

Rowe- maybe just an early indication of KMTs desire for higher quality next season. In several interviews he spoke about the other teams having “ quality players”.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeh and Vale away
Fair enough. Appreciate I may be on my own but just thought he looked like he could, perhaps, be a bit special in that Stevenage game.

andrew p long

Rowe is one who probably most suffered from the combination of a) promotion to League One and b) having only started 4(?) league games ever at age 22 - older than/same age as some of our established players. We need an additional established midfielder and Callum needs more match experience - which he won't get in League One.

andrew p long

The one player retained who I feared for was Jack Arthur. So again this season we'll have two teenage keepers, Scott Brown as coach/reserve keeper and presumably just one important big new signing (hopefully in the Dawson mould!)

Trapdoor

Pretty expected that Atangana and Seymour got released.
Rowe and Daniel is maybe a little surprising but you can see why.

Recruitment needs in my opinion, must have: 1 first choice GK, 1 first choice number Striker (perhaps a big #9 with some hold up attributes?), 1 first choice midfielder. Additional nice to have: left back or left wing-back, maybe 1 or 2 wide midfielders or wingers.

Red Monster

Pretty expected that Atangana and Seymour got released.
Rowe and Daniel is maybe a little surprising but you can see why.

Recruitment needs in my opinion, must have: 1 first choice GK, 1 first choice number Striker (perhaps a big #9 with some hold up attributes?), 1 first choice midfielder. Additional nice to have: left back or left wing-back, maybe 1 or 2 wide midfielders or wingers.
I take it you mean Dyer not Daniel?

Trapdoor

I take it you mean Dyer not Daniel?
Woops yes, sorry... Brain lag.

Boyo

Rowe- maybe just an early indication of KMTs desire for higher quality next season. In several interviews he spoke about the other teams having “ quality players”.
It always comes down to value. Having come from Aston Villa I suspect that Rowe was earning a decent wage at City. In contrast someone like Harry Kite who came through our academy, would probably be on much lower wages. If the two are of similar ability, then it's an easy decision to keep Harry and let Callum go (I'm not suggesting that's what happened, rather just using Harry and Callum as a hypothetical).

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The one player retained who I feared for was Jack Arthur. So again this season we'll have two teenage keepers, Scott Brown as coach/reserve keeper and presumably just one important big new signing (hopefully in the Dawson mould!)
Veale was highly rated at one time and Dodd looked good in the bits and pieces I saw of him in pre-season so it's disappointing that they and Johnson haven't kicked on enough this season to earn a new contract. However, we all know by now that even with the quality of our academy not every player is going to make it to the first team; best of luck to the three of them wherever they end up next.