• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Just floating a thought.....

Boyo

A step change from previous eras would be to have 'normal' income on a par with other League 1 Clubs. I do not see how a one-off call for money can be viewed as facilitating a step change.
Absolutely this. We have to be sustainable over a long period of time. There's no point raising £100k now and then needing to reduce the playing budget in 12 months time.

Fundraising and windfall income would be massively welcomed, but there has to be an understanding that the club would not merely pump it all into the playing budget for 22/23.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fundraising and windfall income would be massively welcomed, but there has to be an understanding that the club would not merely pump it all into the playing budget for 22/23.
Not allowed. Unless they have changed the rules recently you are only permitted to spend half any income on players' wages.

ExmouthMart

The only way to raise significant amounts of money is through player sales. A few well meaning supporters chipping in a couple of quid each month isn’t going to do much. The 1931 fund I believe contributes @£15000 a year towards a young players wages. Not sure if that covers the whole wage or not but I’d imagine our better players are on more than a £100000 a year so that would be a big ask from @3000 Trust ‘Owners’ to cover that sort of money.

Boyo

The only way to raise significant amounts of money is through player sales. A few well meaning supporters chipping in a couple of quid each month isn’t going to do much. The 1931 fund I believe contributes @£15000 a year towards a young players wages. Not sure if that covers the whole wage or not but I’d imagine our better players are on more than a £100000 a year so that would be a big ask from @3000 Trust ‘Owners’ to cover that sort of money.
We could sell the naming rights of the stadium for significant investment.

Is the commercial side of the club optimised?

If we could get an extra 500 through the gate per match that would generate £200k per season.

If we could encourage Trust members to up their subs by an average of £2 per month, that would generate £100k.

Merchandising, is a lost opportunity at the moment.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
We could sell the naming rights of the stadium for significant investment. An idea but hopefully NEVER

Is the commercial side of the club optimised? New Commercial Director - to be seen

If we could get an extra 500 through the gate per match that would generate £200k per season. What is our average now, it had been increasing (bar Covid) for the past few seasons, so what would we be looking at 6k, 6.5k, 7k (getting near capacity)

If we could encourage Trust members to up their subs by an average of £2 per month, that would generate £100k. As mentioned somewhere on Exeweb, possibly this thread, VAT implications for the current size of membership, however if trust membership were to grow then fees would have to go up to cover VAT even at £2

Merchandising, is a lost opportunity at the moment. Not a shining light of the club operations and an area that definitely needs improvement, let's hope that our new commercial director has got their finger on the pulse here

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Back on topic then, what would your vision of the crowd funder look lik @Pete Martin (CTID)?

Would it be a free-for-all, donate what you can / want or would it be more like everyone chuck in twenty quid each?
Exactly that. Any funds raised would only be used to perhaps bolster the chance of signing a player (any player wanted by Matt) that, otherwise, may not be possible.

If not sufficient raised for that purpose, to buy, or help towards, items/equipment needed for the playing side of the club.

Billtong

Going mental at wembley row 131 between seats 234-
Going to get in to the trust fee debate here, tin hat has been put on in advance! £2 a month membership fee is not much in the big scheme of things but peoples budgets are tight at the moment, going to matches is increasing in price whether odd game or season ticket. In my opinion the small fee enables lots of people to feel part of the club and adds to community involvement, these are people that will also be going to plenty of matches too across all ages. Over time £2 a month, even if people stop going City they are likely to keep the membership until they shuffle off this mortal coil because they care, if you increase fees short term people will more likely cancel that standing order as it's a needless expense and more noticeable in the bank accounts so £24 a year over 50 years or more over a shorter period of time but less overall? The option is there to make increased voluntary subscriptions already! One option the trust could campaign on is during the close season as people are not attending games maybe make an increased voluntary subscription if possible during May/June/July?
Not saying I'm right or wrong just an opinion put forward.

Billtong

Going mental at wembley row 131 between seats 234-
I don't think the club should sell naming rights but if they did, would suggest the the trust buys them to keep it St James Park

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Going to get in to the trust fee debate here, tin hat has been put on in advance! £2 a month membership fee is not much in the big scheme of things but peoples budgets are tight at the moment, going to matches is increasing in price whether odd game or season ticket. In my opinion the small fee enables lots of people to feel part of the club and adds to community involvement, these are people that will also be going to plenty of matches too across all ages. Over time £2 a month, even if people stop going City they are likely to keep the membership until they shuffle off this mortal coil because they care, if you increase fees short term people will more likely cancel that standing order as it's a needless expense and more noticeable in the bank accounts so £24 a year over 50 years or more over a shorter period of time but less overall? The option is there to make increased voluntary subscriptions already! One option the trust could campaign on is during the close season as people are not attending games maybe make an increased voluntary subscription if possible during May/June/July?
Not saying I'm right or wrong just an opinion put forward.
I don't think anyone is suggesting raising the £2 per month minimum – merely that there might be merit in encouraging those who can afford to give a bit more to do so.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Reading this with interest my opinion is that it is the club who should be responsible for 1st team aquisitions, The fans (1931 club) raise the money to pay for an up and coming youngster i believe and that is great because it is investing in the youth and it is what we're all about, While Pete's idea is a noble one i think what the fans are better off doing is like what Andy says and raise money for things like equipment for the new C&F building etc, I'm in favour of leaving player recruitment to the club. We don't have a big enough fan base to raise a constant supply of funds outside of the Trust subs, It would probably start off well but people's budgets change and could in time decide to cancel any DD towards what Pete is suggesting. When i was involved with the Supporters Club commitee we raised funds for what the club needed, The "Little things" that they were desperate for and the SC buying things was one less thing they had to worry about, Helping with matchday stuff, Work parties, That is really what fan involvment is about outside of the Trust elections.