• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

sign of the chimes

I don’t think the EFL transfer window opens until 10th June, so although we may hear something about out of contract players incoming I don’t suppose they, or any transfers involving a (small) fee, will able to be confirmed until after that.
Although that dates probably coincides roughly with our return to training?
You're right on the transfer window not opening until later but it won't stop clubs announcing signings - think the date has previously been earlier but there's been some tightening up to ensure the window is only open for a set number of weeks (12?) in line with other countries.

However it won't stop clubs announcing signings - they will just be transfers effective of the relevant date (and subject to international clearance, etc.) Bolton have announced a defender from Cambridge today - I didn't look at the smallprint on their OS but suspect it's on that basis.

You're also right in the sense that in reality most clubs at our level won't complete many of the sort of signings you're talking about before July - given that out-of-contract players get an extra month from their club as a sort of notice period after their deal expires in June; and on that basis it generally isn't in the signing club's interests to do stuff too early (there are exceptions where players are in high demand and moving up the footballing food chain, etc.).

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Swindon mates say:

“50p head”

“lower league 2 striker not league one”

“only scored pens”

Will probably end up banging in loads then 😂

Would rather Telford
Telford - is he a one season wonder and basically just a fitter version of Ajose. Not sure Matty is going down that route again anytime soon :) Talking of which I did see a certain Mr Ajose leaving the Cliff Hill yesterday so he is 'back in the fold'

sign of the chimes

Telford - is he a one season wonder and basically just a fitter version of Ajose. Not sure Matty is going down that route again anytime soon :) Talking of which I did see a certain Mr Ajose leaving the Cliff Hill yesterday so he is 'back in the fold'
Telford is an intriguing one. He must have had something about him for Lowe to take him from Bury to you-know-who; as I'd be very surprised if Lowe didn't have an eye for a striker with potential. I seem to recall he was injured a lot following that move (though recall lots of things that didn't happen and happy to be corrected)? This season suggests he has something about him; whether he's any better than top-end L2/bottom-mid L1 will become clear, I guess - but a breakout season at age 24/25 will surely mean he's in high demand this summer?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Telford is an intriguing one. He must have had something about him for Lowe to take him from Bury to you-know-who; as I'd be very surprised if Lowe didn't have an eye for a striker with potential. I seem to recall he was injured a lot following that move (though recall lots of things that didn't happen and happy to be corrected)? This season suggests he has something about him; whether he's any better than top-end L2/bottom-mid L1 will become clear, I guess - but a breakout season at age 24/25 will surely mean he's in high demand this summer?
Any player in high demand (such as Telford) wont be coming to our club given there will be many clubs able to pay well in excess of us. Pretty much all of last year's highly successful signings were ones nobody else seemed interested in :)

sign of the chimes

Any player in high demand (such as Telford) wont be coming to our club given there will be many clubs able to pay well in excess of us. Pretty much all of last year's highly successful signings were ones nobody else seemed interested in :)
The best way to do business - the FGR DoF who we have been linked with (but looks like we won't get) talks a lot about picking up 'broken toys' from clubs further up the ladder. I look at your recruitment of the likes of Nombe, Brown, Dieng, Stubbs (obviously alongside your Academy which is probably pound-for-pound up there with the best in the country); and think you're doing things right.

It's been a long time since you've had a bad season - commensurate with your relative financial position in League 2 - and whilst I'm sure there'll be some sense that things could have been done better and success achieved quicker it's pretty clear from the outside that you're in a great place at the moment. It's great to observe as someone who has developed a bit of a soft spot.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was coaching the U18s at the Devon Bowl final. Perhaps he's a replacement for the departing Chad Gribble.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure that looking for a striker based on size is the right way to go in L1, we need quality. If they have both then fine, but we need quality over size next season.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure that looking for a striker based on size is the right way to go in L1, we need quality. If they have both then fine, but we need quality over size next season.
Akinfenwa's out then?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bowman ?

jimmy

Peter Crouch?