• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Squad Upgrade - League 1

Bridgy 81

On the Watkins at WSM comparison:-

Ollie was 19 when he came back from WSM, Sonny is 17.
Ollie started 18 games scoring 10 goals, Sonny has a handful of starts/goals.
Ollie jumped two divisions from WSM to City, Sonny would need to jump four divisions, as WSM are playing a league below where they were in Ollie's time

As others have pointed out MT has opted to sign three loan strikers to back up Nombe rather than using Sonny.

When I last saw Sonny play (an U23s game?) he looked miles off being physically ready for League Two.

I'd love it if he was ready now, but the evidence isn't there yet.
I agree with you on this, but when I watched Sonny playing for WsM against Taunton recently he seemed to me to have beefed up a bit since I saw him previously.
Hopefully this will continue and coupled with his technical development all being well he‘ll be ready for us before too long.

Pobbop

A lot of things can happen with a good pre-season, kids often come on massively, last year he had a lot of transfer speculation, then he got injured and had various problems, hopefully he'll be fully focussed and out to prove himself, because it wasn't a great year for him last year.

Cowshed Grecian

On the Watkins at WSM comparison:-

Ollie was 19 when he came back from WSM, Sonny is 17.
Ollie started 18 games scoring 10 goals, Sonny has a handful of starts/goals.
Ollie jumped two divisions from WSM to City, Sonny would need to jump four divisions, as WSM are playing a league below where they were in Ollie's time

As others have pointed out MT has opted to sign three loan strikers to back up Nombe rather than using Sonny.

When I last saw Sonny play (an U23s game?) he looked miles off being physically ready for League Two.

I'd love it if he was ready now, but the evidence isn't there yet.
Ok I get that but I don’t think he’s going to be around for long,perhaps make the most out of this kid whilst we’ve got him early on. I can’t see him spending the next two seasons “developing” before the big boys pounce on him. That’s all that worries me.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree with you on this, but when I watched Sonny playing for WsM against Taunton recently he seemed to me to have beefed up a bit since I saw him previously.
Hopefully this will continue and coupled with his technical development all being well he‘ll be ready for us before too long.
When I saw him play at Tivvy just before you would have seen him he looked like he had grown and filled out a bit from earlier in the season. At 17, he has more growing to do yet. The difference in body size with Alfie Pond from the start to the end of the season was quite apparent also. He seems to be growing into what was quite a spare frame from the shoulders downwards.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Better percentage maybe, but that can also say city gave less chances to the opposition so cam had less to do, but he does look decent
On the Scum U18 clearout, Rhys Shirley could be one to pick up, at some stage he was rated and was one for the future according to the herald https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/rhys-shirley-plymouth-argyles-exciting-5830597

Not second striker perhaps but one of the four?
probably another Ben Seymour

andrew p long

I somewhat regret that our useful discussion on Sonny Cox is on here rather than the Sonny Cox thread. Good to hear that he's filled out a bit since I last saw him play; fingers crossed he may be ready earlier than I expected.

Pobbop

I somewhat regret that our useful discussion on Sonny Cox is on here rather than the Sonny Cox thread. Good to hear that he's filled out a bit since I last saw him play; fingers crossed he may be ready earlier than I expected.
It's all related though, if Cox steps up we may not need as many forwards, same as with Lee and Pond really, Matt (rightly) keeps on saying we won't stand in the way of yoof coming into the side, so if he feels they are ready, it'll be less in.

sign of the chimes

I totally agree. MacAnthony was just saying last week on his podcast what an impact they expect Joel to have next season in League One. He even went as far as to say that Grant McCann has been raving about him and says he was a bargain.

Christy Pym returning at some stage though I would agree is not an absurd rumour. I know some don't feel it would be a good signing, but I disagree and it was only a year ago that he was getting considered the best GK's in League One helping Peterborough get promotion as well as being the Golden Glove winner the previous season.
To be fair, MacAnthony is a rent-a-quote blowhard. I'd take anything that comes out of his mouth with more than a pinch of salt. (Edit): P'boro often transfer list players they've talked up - there's a strategy there.

iscalad

Jaaskelainen released by Crewe.

IndoMike

I'd be surprised, but where have you seen/heard this?
Another poster mentioned it. Oh, well - looks like I've been sold a kipper (not for the first time).