• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Northampton Town Vs Exeter City Match Day Thread

The deluder

I don't agree with this at all. When I was a kid no one gave a toss about rugby unless you were from a public school. We played rugby as well as football at school, but it was football that everyone was passionate about and everyone talked about. The rugby teams did get a brief mention in the sports section of local news but it was always football that was dominant. In fact I remember Exeter Falcons getting more coverage than the rugby.
I don't remember anyone going to watch rugby live. If they did they certainly didn't talk about it.
Speedway team always got better crowds than egg chasers. They were lucky to reach 1,000, the Falcons often got over 4,000 on a Monday night. But of course did not own the ground!

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wrong thread

iscalad

Speedway team always got better crowds than egg chasers. They were lucky to reach 1,000, the Falcons often got over 4,000 on a Monday night. But of course did not own the ground!
Funnily enough, I'm having the same argument on the Exeter Past and Present FB page.

SaintJames

Depending how far back you're going, I dont agree with a lot of that. Nobody cared a rats about rugby until the Exeter Rugby Club moved to Sandy Park. At the old County Ground, they were lucky if they got 200 people in on a saturday.
Pete, remind me how long ago you left these shores as your analysis is shot to pieces my friend :)

SaintJames

I don't agree with this at all. When I was a kid no one gave a toss about rugby unless you were from a public school. We played rugby as well as football at school, but it was football that everyone was passionate about and everyone talked about. The rugby teams did get a brief mention in the sports section of local news but it was always football that was dominant. In fact I remember Exeter Falcons getting more coverage than the rugby.
I don't remember anyone going to watch rugby live. If they did they certainly didn't talk about it.
Bill, its the culture of playing and supporting at the local level rather than Exeter Rugby I'm talking about. Nobody in Sidmouth went to public school but historically towns like Sidmouth, Crediton etc coalesce around the local rugby club much more than the football. I used to love watching the Falcons - good Bank Holiday crowds over 5-6,000 then

tonykellowfan

I was at this game in the home end and it was interesting to hear the discussion about Exeter. Generally a lot of positive comment, people saying we bossed the midfield and looked more dangerous than them going forward. Key and Collins both praised and surprise when Jay was taken off.

Trapdoor

I was at this game in the home end and it was interesting to hear the discussion about Exeter. Generally a lot of positive comment, people saying we bossed the midfield and looked more dangerous than them going forward. Key and Collins both praised and surprise when Jay was taken off.
See I thought almost exactly the opposite.
I thought Dieng amazingly was outmuscled a lot by their big physical midfielders. Jay never really got into the game and his best shot was easily saved. Collins I thought was the best of the midfield but even he got uncharacteristically caught out in possession once.

Taking Jay and Sparkes off and getting Nombe and Caprice on was the right move in my book. Changed the game up and earnt us the point. Credit to Taylor.

tonykellowfan

Rowe came on for Jay, which I can only assume was to rest Jay for the final game.

Martin Weiler

Rowe wasn’t even in the squad. It was Coley who came on for Jay.

arthur

See I thought almost exactly the opposite.
I thought Dieng amazingly was outmuscled a lot by their big physical midfielders. Jay never really got into the game and his best shot was easily saved. Collins I thought was the best of the midfield but even he got uncharacteristically caught out in possession once.

Taking Jay and Sparkes off and getting Nombe and Caprice on was the right move in my book. Changed the game up and earnt us the point. Credit to Taylor.
I too thought Dieng has been fairly and uncharacteristically anonymous in the last two games. Maybe it's because I stand behind the goal...