• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What’s your favourite?

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wasn't around for the 89/90 promotion or prior ones. Of the three I have seen I would say at the moment Wembley 2008 and this one are neck and neck with it likely swinging to this one should we go on to secure the title. However, 2008 would remain the most important. We had never finished below 7th in our five seasons in the Conference but the league was getting tougher and there is a real risk that if we had not gone up when we did we would have started to have seasons where we were mid table rather than perennial promotion contenders.

fred binneys head

Great thread.

This season is my favourite - potentially finishing as champions, team full of home-growns, some classy signings (Dieng, nombe, Dawson), lots of great performances, very strong at home, pretty strong away and I’ve been to lots (for someone living 200 miles away from Exeter).

But the main reason is this is the first promotion my lad has seen (that he can remember, he’s 19 now so was too young when we got promoted before) and we’ve been to lots of games together, there’s no better feeling than being in the middle of a bundle holding on to your son, who is also going berserk, it’s special.

After that would be 09/10 as I went to quite a few games that season and we finished second, so there were lots of great performances, with Tis in his pomp.

Third would be 89/90 as our home form was remarkable but our away form really wasn’t and I only saw one game that season as I was only 16. It was amazing though to be a schoolboy in Coventry, surrounded by fans of Coventry, Liverpool, Manchester United, etc and to know that my team were champions.

Finally the 08/09 season, winning at Wembley was incredible as was the semi-final against Torquay, but the season itself wasn’t as sparkling as the others so, although it was a brilliant season, it finishes fourth in the list for me.

I was only 4 in 1977 so don’t remember that one, plus it’s annoying that they got promoted a couple of years or so after my dad left them, he was obviously holding them back 🤣

STURTZ

Great thread.

This season is my favourite - potentially finishing as champions, team full of home-growns, some classy signings (Dieng, nombe, Dawson), lots of great performances, very strong at home, pretty strong away and I’ve been to lots (for someone living 200 miles away from Exeter).

But the main reason is this is the first promotion my lad has seen (that he can remember, he’s 19 now so was too young when we got promoted before) and we’ve been to lots of games together, there’s no better feeling than being in the middle of a bundle holding on to your son, who is also going berserk, it’s special.

After that would be 09/10 as I went to quite a few games that season and we finished second, so there were lots of great performances, with Tis in his pomp.

Third would be 89/90 as our home form was remarkable but our away form really wasn’t and I only saw one game that season as I was only 16. It was amazing though to be a schoolboy in Coventry, surrounded by fans of Coventry, Liverpool, Manchester United, etc and to know that my team were champions.

Finally the 08/09 season, winning at Wembley was incredible as was the semi-final against Torquay, but the season itself wasn’t as sparkling as the others so, although it was a brilliant season, it finishes fourth in the list for me.

I was only 4 in 1977 so don’t remember that one, plus it’s annoying that they got promoted a couple of years or so after my dad left them, he was obviously holding them back 🤣
Does seem a bit of a shame that Graham Parker wasn't in a promotion team butb same for players like Peter Hatch, Fred Binney, Jayden Stockley and many other players of note. Sorry but no medal, no imortalisation in this Grecians Hall of fame.

fred binneys head

Ouch

geoffwp

I'm going to echo Max's thoughts and say that the Wembley promotion still edges it for me. Max used the word relief and jeez what a relief it was. It had been such a journey down in the conference, not all of it bad by any means, but a journey we were all desperate to end and starting to wonder if it ever would! I can still recall quite clearly just how shyte it felt missing out the previous time and having to watch and listen to the Morecambe fans celebrating. Then it was try a second time, wondering if history would be repeating itself, the build up in the pub garden, the anxiety in the stadium, then the wonderful moment of Sir Rob's goal though still the anxiety each time Cambridge attacked until that absolutely amazing moment the final whistle blew. The sheer relief and utter elation I felt has only ever been surpassed by the birth of my first child.
While all other promotions have been fantastic, this year in particular, none of them matched that day in London for the range and intensity of emotions it created for me.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

So In my time supporting City I’ve seen four promotions, but how do they rank? For me Terry Cooper’s sits loud and proud at the top. It was my first so it’ll always be special, but that freakish home record is probably something that’ll never be repeated by any team anywhere ever. Plus we sealed both promotion and the title at home, and that final 5-1 result at Lincoln. Say no more.

Next is tricky but I’m going to just edge this current one. It’s been on the cards for quite some time with the constant threat of the dreaded play-offs, but we have some genuinely exciting players and it shouldn’t be underestimated just how important the Academy has been regularly supplying 50% of the starting 11.

Just behind I’ll take Wembley. Had we done it the year before it might have been a different story: first time in the play-offs, first time at not just Wembley but the new Wembley, and finally escaping the Conference but it wasn’t the first time, we’d seen it and (almost) done it before, it was more relief than joy.

And finally Rotherham. Going through the division is no mean feat, but (I think) three sides had heavy points deductions and the division in general wasn’t of a particularly high quality. But, up’s up so it shouldn’t be dismissed quite so nonchalantly, but for me the other three were more enjoyable, especially given I wasn’t there to see it!

Anyway, over to you!
Where were you in '77 Ant?!! _ don't tell me you're too young as I won't believe you!

haka

Does seem a bit of a shame that Graham Parker wasn't in a promotion team butb same for players like Peter Hatch, Fred Binney, Jayden Stockley and many other players of note. Sorry but no medal, no imortalisation in this Grecians Hall of fame.
The old memory needs a VAR check there, Peter Hatch was in the 1977 team, as I mentioned in this very popular thread ...

Fred Binney was kind of responsible for building that team, because when he left the swaps from Brighton (Lammie and Shirley) became key players in 1977.

Antony Moxey

Where were you in '77 Ant?!! _ don't tell me you're too young as I won't believe you!
My first game was in 1981, when I was 15. Joys of not being in a football supporting family (siblings excepted).

Rosencrantz

I think the promotions all have a different flavour.

The first one I can remember is 89/90 and that was entertainment, especially for a "home" supporters. Our home form that season in all competitions was one that is rarely seen. The mix of experienced players (Neville, Whitehead, McNichol, McDermott) and younger players (Hiley, Miller, Taylor, Rowbotham) was a potent mix along with the attacking style. Being a kid, I didn't go to many away games that season, only Lincoln away in the end, but it must have been a bit frustrating at times for those away regulars to witness that great side lose 13 times away. 12 times by the odd goal. It was really only the run in to that season we pulled away starting with a crucial 1-0 win away at Colchester starting a streak of 8 wins and 1 draw to finish the season. Similarities really of this season although there was no FGR to chase.

2007/08 was a feeling of job done. After the disappointment of getting so close the previous season, this felt more like a mission. We only lost 7 games in the regular season (just 1 at home) but had too many draws to ever really compete for automatic promotion. The play off game at Plainmoor was probably the highlight of the season along with the barnstorming Boxing Day game at The Park. Wembley was pure relief and mission accomplished to be back in the league. It was emotional an emotional day which felt like a reward for sticking with the club during our lowest times.

2008/09 was like an unexpected bonus as we went right through. Once we found our feet at the start of the season we looked like a side who could be play off material but then ended the season strongly. Particularly from February onwards when we only lost two games for the rest of the season ending on an unbeaten 8 game run (5 wins and 3 draws). Much like this season we were able to turn tight games our way and win points. The underlying quiet steeliness in the side of these two seasons often get overlooked for the tactical flexibility.

This season to me feels the most together and pleasing. With a new look squad it was to be expected that we might have a relatively slow start and we did. But apart from the one defeat at Orient it was quickly apparent that we had something about us with a long unbeaten run that started out being draw heavy but then morphed into wins which did get us into 2nd place by late November. Then we had the blip and doubts set in as we slipped out of the play offs albeit with games in hand. Then the new year came and we showed the resilience, squad depth and talent to win points. It has been a bit of a remorseless march towards promotion. With such a tight battle behind FGR we first got back into the promotion places with our comeback against Harrogate. The Barrow postponement and draws against Bristol Rovers and Salford saw us bouncing around a bit but then when we hit 2nd on the 19th March away at Oldham we haven't been moved and have inched our way away from the others and caught FGR.

For me the 89/90 side were the most entertaining and best footballing side although being mostly a "home" supporter that season it would be difficult to think any other way. This season though feels more pleasing and satisfying. It feels a bit more personal and that is a lot down to the players and the connection with the fans. The homegrown boys and the new signings who have really bought in to our club have really played for each other and shown the spirit required to find a way to win points with touches of real quality along the way.

dontpassback

Fwiw Fred,your old man was a joy to watch,he never shirked a tackle,and in the modern game he would probably have got a few red cards,but you could never question his commitment to the cause,and along with Binney,blain,Campbell Crawford etc etc he gave me many happy hours watching the grecians !