• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Offrande Zanzala

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
He will be our first signing of the close season.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
And the rest. McCardle, Grounds… I thought we missed him against Barrow. Would hope we can get better. But he certainly works hard and occupies defenders.
Thought the same at the time. His ability to unsettle a defence is so underrated by fans, probably not by the players though.

Cowshed Grecian

I've never been concerned about what a players previous choices have been or reason they made decisions. All that really matters is if they can do a job for us and add to what we have.
Depends what the job is. If it's too elbow centre backs, not be in the right places when crosses come in and run around not being able to be involved in link up play because your not technically good enough then fair enough. Re-signing Alex Fisher could "add" to the squad and would be a lot cheaper i would imagine. Lets not pretend he's been integral, he was our only option. Phillips was too raw, whom in my opinion has contributed more than him with big goals against Bradford and Barrow - i'm not feeling the same love on here for him.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Depends what the job is. If it's too elbow centre backs, not be in the right places when crosses come in and run around not being able to be involved in link up play because your not technically good enough then fair enough. Re-signing Alex Fisher could "add" to the squad and would be a lot cheaper i would imagine. Lets not pretend he's been integral, he was our only option. Phillips was too raw, whom in my opinion has contributed more than him with big goals against Bradford and Barrow - i'm not feeling the same love on here for him.
Can't agree with that at all.

He's no Championship striker, but he's been in the right place to link play more often than not, held up the ball well, and created space and time for Jevani to work his magic. He's literally run himself into the ground.

He is the perfect understudy to Super Sam.

tommoore85

I have argued this elsewhere somewhere but we need different types of strikers. And he bloody loves it here..

Smithyno6

We’re not going to be getting the pick of the bunch just because we’ve been promoted. Having four strikers which are ready and to do a job has been evidently needed for us this season. He clearly loves it here and he clearly works his socks off. I think he’s deserving of a contract with us and deserves to be one of our four strikers next season (if that’s how many Taylor wants). He won’t be first choice but he is an option.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd prefer us not to sign him. Yes we need different types of strikers but trying hard and loving it here is not enough.

If MT thinks he's good enough to be one of our strikers in L1 then I'll trust his judgement, but at this moment in time I'd say he doesn't have the ability to go with his heart.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
The comparison between Oz & Phillips is an interesting one. Both are clearly raw, so it's a case of whether either (or both) has the potential to develop into a viable option at League 1 level.

I thought that quite a lot of our struggles during the first half hour on Tuesday were a result of Phillips' ineffectiveness - he didn't challenge for any forward balls in the air, & did nothing to engage the defenders. As a result, there was very little opportunity for either our midfielders or wingbacks to get possession in the upper third of the pitch; & the ball was continuously coming back in the air into the midfield. All of this is in direct contrast to what Oz has offered over the last few games.

On the other hand, there's no way that Oz makes the run that Phillips did which led to our first goal.

Looking forward to next season, & accepting that is Oz is in the squad, he's unlikely to be starting, I guess the question is whether he is likely to be effective coming off the bench. I think that, at this point, his real effectiveness is in the hour of games.

I think he'd be ok as a low-cost, 4th, striker.

DJG.ECFC

Don’t mind him but don’t think he’ll be staying next season, we can get better quality now we’re in league one.

JCWhoosh

League 2 is always attritional and can see teams setting up to be hard to beat. In my opinion that's why we have always favoured Zanzala. I'm hoping there will be more space to attack in league 1 where we might fare better with someone like Phillips but surely we can get someone better than both?