• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Squad Upgrade - League 1

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
As for David Wheeler I don't really see him returning to Exeter except possibly to fill the vacancy of Labour Candidate created by Ben Bradshaw's retirement at the next General election ! :cool:
Gets my vote!!l (y):p

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don’t think we need another LWB Jack Sparkes is getting better and better and will surprise a few in League One next season…if we can keep the likes of Stubbs, Hartridge, Sweeney fit we look to me to be strong all the way across the back line although losing Key would be a big blow…so a new RWB would be needed….another top line striker who can find the back of the net is a necessity but won’t easy to find I know.

sign of the chimes

I've no idea what pool you'll be fishing in this summer, but the retained lists of many L1 clubs should be out early next week as the last games of the regular season are on Saturday lunchtime. You would imagine there will be plenty of value about in general, with lots of club having lost money hand over fist due to the pandemic.

Cowshed Grecian

Very odd comment, some of our greatest heroes have been players who came back, Kellow, Neville, Hiley, Miller, Friend on loan, and despite the hate from some for him Harley had some great moments.

Personally think we are okay for midfield, great for centre-halves see no reason why we'd bring one of them in. RWB, if Key goes perhaps. LWB maybe but I am a fasn of Sparkes, and Caprice as someone with pace that can cover a lot of positions.

Kite can do Atatanga's role, much better than him, this yearning for a midfielder that will kick people is just old-fashioned, arguable in this day and age, none of them will last many matches, we've got plenty in there. With other Yoofs in the background.

I wouldn't take any of the Strikers that we have on Loan, would look to bring in two good experienced forwards, I'd take Wheeler and Norwood if you are going back to old guys that are gettable, with again looking at yoof and the Loan market for extras Honestly, I think Phillips, Zanzala and Amond have written themselves a little into folklore with vital goals, but all three's goal record is poor, and if we look at Loans we will be able to get much better players from an higher bracket. KMT likes the Loan market, and we'll have many more options next year.

Oh and a 'keeper when Dawson goes, we ain't paying him 8k a week, and even if he did want another club for First Team football arguably someone else will pay closer to 8K. Another Loan probably, but he's all pre-season to look for one, and yes many will be looking for first-team football. Where's Oscar Jansson anyway?
I can also name you off the top of my head many who didn’t I.e Trevor Morgan, Danny Bailey, Phillips,Seabourne,Richardson,Archibald Henville, Moxey wasn’t great neither was Harley second time round. My point being the club is progressing forwards and therefore more appealing to players in a wider broader spectrum instead of looking at former players coming back who will most probably be no better than bang average looking for a nostalgic euphoric swan song to their careers.

Bridgy 81

Don’t think we need another LWB Jack Sparkes is getting better and better and will surprise a few in League One next season…if we can keep the likes of Stubbs, Hartridge, Sweeney fit we look to me to be strong all the way across the back line although losing Key would be a big blow…so a new RWB would be needed….another top line striker who can find the back of the net is a necessity but won’t easy to find I know.
Hopefully that’s right about Jack, but I imagine we’ll lose Ray (on loan), Grounds and Daniel, so the only left sided centre back we’d have would be Hartridge.
Plus if Key goes Caprice, who is contracted for next season may play more on the right.
I think Friend could be experienced and useful cover on the left side and help the younger defenders develop on the training ground.

older-codger

One factor that may affect the squad is that apparently, instead of us having to approach clubs for possible loans, it appears that the boot is on the other foot and we are being approached by clubs to see if we will take players on loan. Thanks to our growing reputation for improving players

Bridgy 81

I can also name you off the top of my head many who didn’t I.e Trevor Morgan, Danny Bailey, Phillips,Seabourne,Richardson,Archibald Henville, Moxey wasn’t great neither was Harley second time round. My point being the club is progressing forwards and therefore more appealing to players in a wider broader spectrum instead of looking at former players coming back who will most probably be no better than bang average looking for a nostalgic euphoric swan song to their careers.
I appreciate we shouldn’t be in the market for average players looking for a swan song, but if there’s someone who’s played for us previously has moved on and got good experience at a higher level, perhaps has an affinity with the club and can still do a useful job, isn’t that preferable to someone who doesn’t know us from Adam and probably cares even less?

Cowshed Grecian

I appreciate we shouldn’t be in the market for average players looking for a swan song, but if there’s someone who’s played for us previously has moved on and got good experience at a higher level, perhaps has an affinity with the club and can still do a useful job, isn’t that preferable to someone who doesn’t know us from Adam and probably cares even less?
Agreed. Happily take Joel or Ethan back right now.

Bridgy 81

Agreed. Happily take Joel or Ethan back right now.
I appreciate your irony.
Ethan (in a dream world would be the business) but I suspect Joel would unfortunately spend more time on the treatment table at the Cat and Fiddle than on the pitch.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Friend extended his contract for another season at Birmingham taking it up to the summer 2023. Maybe end of next season we could sign him but he will be 35 by then. Player coach perhaps, he seems like a switched on guy.