• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor appreciation thread

Jammers20

Thought his interview last night was absolutely class. To give praise to Tisdale, players that have come before this season etc was brilliant. I do think he "gets City" more or differently than other managers might, having been here as a player and coach he understands the ethos of the club and you can slowly start to see the changes in thinking where we might not have to sell our best players and as a club become more attractive to other players coming in. Matt will have another important off season to strengthen us enough for next year and see how we fair in a tough league 1.

Christian

Will be amazing if he stays, but you have to make a decision when your stock is high, and it is for him. If we suffer a little in league 1 and we are at the wrong end of the table, his stock will fall and he wont be in the same position....still think he will go.

haka

There aren't many L1 clubs that would be better for him than ECFC.

Most of the division is in 1 of 2 categories: a) the "sleeping giants" who would sack a manager in December because they're "only" 7th and they're too Big For This League and b) clubs that are already over-achieving and are no bigger than City (Accrington, Cheltenham etc).

If he's tempted away then good luck to him, he doesn't owe us anything, but it would be a shame if he was another unemployed ex-manager in a few months' time.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
He's already started on a downhill slide then as no one on her will like him on here if he praises the most dividing manager we've ever had!
I think he's appreciates what our former manager did like bringing him back to coach the youngsters and he always acknowleges that, Which gave the club a chance to take a punt and employ him as our team manager and to be fair they got it spot on, Think last night proved that in abundance. He doesn't need to "Praise" him, He's obviously grateful but doesn't have to constantly say thank you. You seem to forget it was our former manager who decided to leave, No one else. FWIW i think you'll never realy be able to "Support" the club while MT is in charge because of your own dislike of him, It was the club that appointed him, Not the other way round so you must be angry with them. As for criticising players in public, I genuinely haven't heard anything from MT that i would consider to be insulting, Football is a tough game and the players know what is expected of them and if they fall below certain expectations then they should expect to be pulled over the coals. Look at the team last night, To a man they are 110% behind him, Even those that haven't figured much and to me that says more than anything.

Red Bill

So its time for me to eat huge slice of humble pie. When matt Taylor was made manager, I thought it was a sign of an insular, small minded club missing out on the chance of who we might have had to keep it in house, but boy how wrong i was! The way he has captured the spirit of our club, the amazing team spirit he's created is something I've never seen in nearly 50 years of supporting this club. A while ago Jake Caprice was being interviewed and described City as a 'collective', and how true that seems. its every one of us, as everyone involved demonstrates. Its not just the players but the back room staff, the coaches, the media boys, the ground taff and us the fans, If i wanted a definition of what a fans owned, community club should be, that's what we've got, and I see Matt as the driving force behind it all. Thank you Matt for realising everything that makes me so proud of being a Grecian, everything I want the trust model to shout to the world, I've never in my life been so pleased to have been proved an utter tit! Long may this continue. I'm as red as they come and you and the boys have made me even more proud to say that. Thank you, what a wonderful manager you are and now you have your well deserved place in our history!!! UTC!

DB9

So its time for me to eat huge slice of humble pie. When matt Taylor was made manager, I thought it was a sign of an insular, small minded club missing out on the chance of who we might have had to keep it in house, but boy how wrong i was! The way he has captured the spirit of our club, the amazing team spirit he's created is something I've never seen in nearly 50 years of supporting this club. A while ago Jake Caprice was being interviewed and described City as a 'collective', and how true that seems. its every one of us, as everyone involved demonstrates. Its not just the players but the back room staff, the coaches, the media boys, the ground taff and us the fans, If i wanted a definition of what a fans owned, community club should be, that's what we've got, and I see Matt as the driving force behind it all. Thank you Matt for realising everything that makes me so proud of being a Grecian, everything I want the trust model to shout to the world, I've never in my life been so pleased to have been proved an utter tit! Long may this continue. I'm as red as they come and you and the boys have made me even more proud to say that. Thank you, what a wonderful manager you are and now you have your well deserved place in our history!!! UTC!
Red Bill, You're not the only one who thought that at first, A lot of us (myself included) felt a bit like that, It will be a very large Humble Pie that will have to be baked.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Red Bill, You're not the only one who thought that at first, A lot of us (myself included) felt a bit like that, It will be a very large Humble Pie that will have to be baked.
Lets hope the pie comes out the oven fully baked after Port Vale just in time to eat it !
UTC

haka

I don't think you need to be that hard on yourselves. The original issue was not so much Matt becoming manager as the process (not advertising, interviewing outsiders etc), and that was a reasonable point. If he does leave for another club you would expect the club to try and get the best applicant.

Also I'd suggest he's a better manager now than when he got the job. He learned from his mistakes, and the club gave him the time to gain that experience.

But football fans can be very fickle, and I hope that if (IF) City are in the bottom half next season then the manager gets more of that precious time ... including on here! :)

DB9

I don't think you need to be that hard on yourselves. The original issue was not so much Matt becoming manager as the process (not advertising, interviewing outsiders etc), and that was a reasonable point. If he does leave for another club you would expect the club to try and get the best applicant.

Also I'd suggest he's a better manager now than when he got the job. He learned from his mistakes, and the club gave him the time to gain that experience.

But football fans can be very fickle, and I hope that if (IF) City are in the bottom half next season then the manager gets more of that precious time ... including on here! :)
He will get more time, The club doesn't do panic I'm hoping the team or him won't be in that position next season, MT will learn more about the job player bigger teams in a higher league, As for here on Exeweb, Everyone's a manager and can do better. 👍😀

AndrewP

I hope I'm not reading too much into it as an imminent likelyhood, but his comment around "I'll never work with a better group of players, I'll work with better players, of course I will....they've been a pleasre to work with" leaped out at me..