• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Squad Upgrade - League 1

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
When you look at the last time we were in L1, what really kicked us on from just surviving on the last day and coming 8th was quality up top. The first season we brought in Corr and Norwood to go with what we had. They were too suspended and inexperienced respectively.

Next season we brought in Nardiello, Cureton and O'Flynn. Certainly the first two were quality we don't often get down here. Obviously both came with health warning stickers (injury prone and past it) but both could finish. Just seek out old YouTube vids and the quality of finishing is a different level to what we have now.

Nombe, Jevani and MJ can thrive in L1 but that added quality, consistency and depth in options up front are key.
They were also very well-paid. Let's not forget that the gamble of trying to get into the Championship nearly bankrupted the club. However, while we are on the topic of strikers I see that David Wheeler was on twitter congratulating City. I've no idea what his contract situation is but I wonder if there's any chance that now he's a father we could persuade him that Devon really is the best place for bringing up a family.

dommers

I suspect Nombe is well paid as would be a GK the quality of Dawson. I think we need a GK, LB, RB (as think Key will move on), CM and CF. Also need to think about wingers as a plan B.

Topsham Boy

First of all try everything to sign Cam if we can…….. and then agree we need at
least two quality strikers and for me a defensive ball winning midfielder.

dommers

First of all try everything to sign Cam if we can
It's not going to happen. If he's on 8K a week as has been quoted why would he move?

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
RWB, LWB, Keeper, LCB, DCM, Strikers x2

Topsham Boy

It's not going to happen. If he's on 8K a week as has been quoted why would he move?
Better than being a bench warmer at Wednesday…..particularly if they don’t go up?
He’s been worth so many points for us this season…..if you are right and he’s too expensive that’s a big blow.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Depends if we can agree another loan deal or whether Cam even wants it. After the season he has had his stock is pretty high and lots of clubs with stupid money are gonna be in the market for a solid good goalkeeper. hopefully we can tempt him as he has been our player of the season in my view and one of the huge difference makers in why we have been promoted.

dommers

Depends if we can agree another loan deal or whether Cam even wants it. After the season he has had his stock is pretty high and lots of clubs with stupid money are gonna be in the market for a solid good goalkeeper. hopefully we can tempt him as he has been our player of the season in my view and one of the huge difference makers in why we have been promoted.
I think we got 'lucky' signing. Desperate for a GK and right place at right time. Not sure how much we're paying of his wages but if he's on 8K it will be a big drop for him to sign and if I was earning that then I might be happy to sit on a bench. If Sheff Wed go up then they might loan him out to us but I doubt it if there in the same league. I think the most likely scenario is that he ends up a club how will pay nearer his current wages than we can afford, thus freeing up money for Sheff Wed and giving him some longer term security of a club whilst his stock is high

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nah. Job done. Time to look forward.
I'm sure KMT will, but he'll also assess who can do a job in L1. My guess is that changes will be minimal.

ChardGrecian

Think we need to add additional strikers how about that guy Simpson from Ipswich who was loaned to Swindon made big impact and got recalled in January - don’t think he featured much for Ipswich then.