• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Rochdale match day thread

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can give you a comment on Jevani's dive........ it was exactly that. A dive. You could even see the marks in the pitch where he dug his boots into the ground to try himself look like he had been tripped. He got exactly what he deserved, a booking.
Really? Oh well, like I said, I have no comment.

Red Devon

Key stepped up?? Really?? Of all the players this season, he has been the most inconsistant and disappointing. He had his head turned at the start of the season with all the Sunderland talk and his performances never really recovered. He has shown flashes of what he is capable of at times but not enough to see what all the fuss was about from last season and defensively there have been times when he doesn't know whether he is on his arse or his elbow. If anybody needed taking out of the firing line and resting for a couple of weeks it should have been Key but it's too late for that now. One thing is for certain, he won't be getting the attention that he did last summer.
Love watching him play, since Newport away I think it was he‘s stepped further forwards and has been causing no end of problems to the opposition full backs like he did again today….also has a great understanding with Sweenz that can’t be underestimated.

grecIAN Harris

Love watching him play, since Newport away I think it was he‘s stepped further forwards and has been causing no end of problems to the opposition full backs like he did again today….also has a great understanding with Sweenz that can’t be underestimated.
I'm really not quite sure which player you've been watching but it hasn't been Josh Key.

Colesman Ballz

I'm really not quite sure which player you've been watching but it hasn't been Josh Key.
Or maybe it is you being blinded by your preconceptions! :unsure: :cool:

Josh Key is still only 22. He has defensive frailties, his crossing can disappoint and he should score more goals than he does.

But there's a reason MT has consistently picked him, even bringing him back (too?) soon after a bout of Covid earlier in the season. He occupies teams up the pitch - always the best form of defence.

Player careers are seldom linear - a breakthrough season is sometimes followed by a fallow or less spectacular one. This season may not have matched last, but Key has still deserved his place in this excellent City side.

lamrobhero

For the Colchester match I was sat next to someone who was not a regular. Half way through the First Half he asked me who the player on the right was, I said Josh Key. At the end of the game the opinion of him and his friend was that Josh Key was the man of the match. I could see why he thought that. Similarly today what Josh does, does not always come off but he has a poise and skill that makes me sit up everytime he gets the ball.

grecIAN Harris

Or maybe it is you being blinded by your preconceptions! :unsure: :cool:
If the preconception is expecting players to play up to their ability then yes. We all saw last season what Josh is very capable of and on a regular basis. Can you honestly say he is been anywhere near that good this season or been as consistent?

grecIAN Harris

Josh Key is still only 22. He has defensive frailties, his crossing can disappoint and he should score more goals than he does.

But there's a reason MT has consistently picked him, even bringing him back (too?) soon after a bout of Covid earlier in the season. He occupies teams up the pitch - always the best form of defence.

Player careers are seldom linear - a breakthrough season is sometimes followed by a fallow or less spectacular one. This season may not have matched last, but Key has still deserved his place in this excellent City side.
Score more goals than he does??? He is a wing back. Now whilst I might expect better quality and consistency from him, one thing I wouldn't expect from him to do is score that often.

grecIAN Harris

For the Colchester match I was sat next to someone who was not a regular. Half way through the First Half he asked me who the player on the right was, I said Josh Key. At the end of the game the opinion of him and his friend was that Josh Key was the man of the match. I could see why he thought that. Similarly today what Josh does, does not always come off but he has a poise and skill that makes me sit up everytime he gets the ball.
And then makes me slump back down with disappointment all to often. Why? Because he is better than what he has been showing.

Antony Moxey

If the preconception is expecting players to play up to their ability then yes. We all saw last season what Josh is very capable of and on a regular basis. Can you honestly say he is been anywhere near that good this season or been as consistent?
In the last half or dozen or so games then yes, most definitely.