• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'Cans for City' - revived

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wonderful job you are doing here Andy.

But just a thought/question though. Given that a considerable amount of our support comes from West of Exe could a collection point be also arranged somewhere in the St Thomas/Alphington area.

I 4-1 would be more than happy to add my spent cans to the cause rather than filling the green bin every fortnight.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Cheers Fred, but it's the folks who collect the cans that do the most work, i mean fancy having to drink all those cans, just for City! Mind you, sometimes the play drives you to drink!
Too modest Andy, The work you have put in and the money raised has been so useful, What you have done is turn these cans into money to buy those "Little Things" that go a long way for the C&F, Youth team etc, Another way the fans can feel part of the club whilst enjoying downing the contents of all those cans 🙂

Last edited:

Andy_H

Wonderful job you are doing here Andy.

But just a thought/question though. Given that a considerable amount of our support comes from West of Exe could a collection point be also arranged somewhere in the St Thomas/Alphington area.

I 4-1 would be more than happy to add my spent cans to the cause rather than filling the green bin every fortnight.
There is a lady who has taken over from Karen Rost as the 'Alphington' collection centre, I think that she could be on FB. If not then somebody on there will know how to contact her. Data protection and all that!

Could you maybe drop them off at SJP every so often?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is a lady who has taken over from Karen Rost as the 'Alphington' collection centre, I think that she could be on FB. If not then somebody on there will know how to contact her. Data protection and all that!

Could you maybe drop them off at SJP every so often?
Anybody with cans in the Alphington or St Thomas area can PM me here and I can link you in.

Andy_H

Thanks to our good friends at Signs Express & Exeter City Council we now have some new signs for our collecting cages. They'll be put in place this week on the cages in Red Square & at the Co-op store in Old Tiverton Rd. Also, we have been given permission to position a cage on Jungle Path, in line with ground regulations it has to be 'outside' of the ground so, we have positioned it just before the Jungle Path turnstiles between the back of the toilet block and the SASS. I hope that this gives people using both Jungle Path and the Well St entrance to SASS the opportunity to drop off their cans rather than walk around to Red Square.
Finally some really good news; The price of alluminium for April is a staggering £1,100 per tonne, that is £1.10 per kilo, or a tadge under 2p per large lager/cider/beer/energy etc can, working on approx 56 cans per kilo!
1648905083912.jpeg

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I will be bringing a car full down for the port vale game - would love to present them to you Andy that day

Andy_H

I will be bringing a car full down for the port vale game - would love to present them to you Andy that day
Alistair, looking forward to it, you can always drop them off in Red Square when you first arrive in Exeter, be that Friday or Sat, keep in touch.

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It will be the Saturday - and it’s adam not alistair 😉

Andy_H

In an effort to expand our collecting base, we've now got a cage positioned just before the Jungle Path Turnstiles.
1649782520966.jpeg

Andy_H

To continue from the C&C Redevelopment thread;

I think that i should point out that Cans4City is just one of many ECFC Supporters Groups involved in the project to supply items for the C&F Redevelopment. Groups like EDG, EMG, NDG, GWG, Grecian Goal etc] are also getting involved in valuable and very important stage in the forward momentum of ECFC both on & off the pitch.

FYI; When Cans was restarted in 2013, we aimed at one project a year that fell within our limited budget as we were only collecting small amounts and getting, what at the time, was a reasonable return financially.
However since we've been in 'cahoots' with ECC, our collection weights have increased significantly and so has our financial return, to the point where once we though £300 to spend in a year was an achievement, now we're getting almost twice that from a single bi-monthly collection!
To be Open & Honest with information about where the monies comes from and goes, lets me explain a sort of 'can' line.
There are several collecting points around Exeter, including SJP, Alphington & Co-op OTR, plus Grecians in Tiverton & Crediton who collect for us plus, the numerous individuals who drop their cans off direct to SJP. These cans are then sorted, crushed, bagged and stored under the stairs up to the BB at Stadium Way. Then every couple of months, or when storage starts to become a bit tight, the bags are emptied into Dumpy bags and ready for ECC to collect. To make it cost effective, we aim for a minimum of 11/12 dumpy bags, or roughly 120 bin liners full per load.
ECC then take the bags to their facility at Marsh Barton and the lorry goes straight onto the weigh bridge, the weigh bridge ticket is then forwarded to ECFC Accounts, who invoice ECC for the amount at the price for that month, currently £1,100 per ton and ECFC are normally paid within 3 working days.
I then get informed by Accounts as to how much is in the Cans account and together with a small, cross section, group of ECFC Supporters, we decide where and when to either purchase specific items or make donations to ECFC or ECFC Community related projects.
Over the years among the items we have purchased or made to donations to are as follows;
Memorial Bench for Memorial Garden, this took almost 18 months worth of cans collection to fund!
A 'Returning Soldier' silhouette for the Memorial Garden. The 2nd one on the right was kindly donated by Kier Construction after they had finished building the students block.
A fridge for the home dressing room at SJP.
A new more powerful pressure washer for SJP.
Purchase of ‘Crossmaxx 6 digit timer’ for the C&F.
Assistance with the purchase of tables for Hospitality at SJP.
Donations towards; The Defibrillator for C&F; The Refurbishment of the grave of Arthur Chadwick; A Mental Health awareness programme for Academy; Trust 'Volunteers’ lunch; ECFC Charitable Trust Community Food Programme; Community Trust Community housing programme; ECFC Ladies Team; Andy's Man club; Ukraine DEC appeal.

We are also funding the Memorial Plaques for some ECFC stalwarts, an Information Board for the Memorial Garden plus the purchase of plants & shrubs to replace those damaged when the Bore Hole was sunk!

Together with other ECFC Supporter Groups we are committing monies towards the 'Kit it out' appeal, currently we have pledged to purchase two items, but will be looknig towards increasing that over the up coming months.

Finally, we now have a Cans4City flag which you can see at each home game towards the front of the BB at the Stadium Way turnstile end.

I hope this gives a bit of insight into, not only what happens to the cans you drop off but, where the monies these cans generate is spent.

We are always on the lookout for areas around ECFC and the ECFC wider Community to support so if you have an idea of such a project then please let me/us know.