• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will Covid save Matt Taylor’s job?

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Second place in the League Two fair play table and 6 fewer yellow cards than any other club and you don’t like the manager because you think we’re not proper chaps.
That's because we spend all our time persuading the refs to book the opposition :)

fred binneys head

Don’t you find the end of season dissection of the failings of the released players uncomfortable viewing though?!
Not at all, I thought he was perfectly reasonable and respectful in what he said. If a professional footballer can't stay off the pies, he can't moan if a club lets him go and says it was because he wasn't able to stay at the level of fitness we were expecting.

If he'd called Tom Parkes a fat b@stard in the interview then I'd say you have a point. He didn't.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've got to admit, I didn't warm to MT to start with, I think it took him time to create a winning team, the attitude did not look right and I guess MT must have noticed something as he did a whole overhaul...

Now, two years on and I think MT is a manager who can perform at a much higher level, he's got the attitude that would work with big players. The best manager I've seen at City in my opinion.
I think that if you look at our budget Matt Taylor has exceeded expectations every season. This year he has been given a bigger budget, though far from the biggest in League 2, and has therefore been able to create a better team than in the past.

ExmouthMart

Not at all, I thought he was perfectly reasonable and respectful in what he said. If a professional footballer can't stay off the pies, he can't moan if a club lets him go and says it was because he wasn't able to stay at the level of fitness we were expecting.

If he'd called Tom Parkes a fat b@stard in the interview then I'd say you have a point. He didn't.
Was he referring to just his weight or was it compounded by the lockdown. Was his well being not considered?! A certain former striker seemed to have been treated with kid gloves in comparison to some. In the weight comparison stakes I’d say he was no more a fat illegitimate than Sweeney has appeared at various times.

fred binneys head

Was he referring to just his weight or was it compounded by the lockdown. Was his well being not considered?! A certain former striker seemed to have been treated with kid gloves in comparison to some. In the weight comparison stakes I’d say he was no more a fat illegitimate than Sweeney has appeared at various times.
I can't remember the exact words Matt used, but I think it was along the lines of "Tom couldn't maintain his fitness to what was needed" or something like that. I don't think that could affect anyone's wellbeing, lockdown or not.

And I think KMT has said similar comments about Ben Seymour, along the lines of "we haven't got enough at the top of the pitch, I need to see more from Ben" - I can't see how those comments are different in tone and I can't see how either are disrespectful and / or could be detrimental to someone's wellbeing.

And over the years Sweenz has been dropped many times, possibly due to fitness, but each time he has worked hard, come back and delivered. That's what KMT wants to see, as would any manager.

ExmouthMart

I can't remember the exact words Matt used, but I think it was along the lines of "Tom couldn't maintain his fitness to what was needed" or something like that. I don't think that could affect anyone's wellbeing, lockdown or not.

And I think KMT has said similar comments about Ben Seymour, along the lines of "we haven't got enough at the top of the pitch, I need to see more from Ben" - I can't see how those comments are different in tone and I can't see how either are disrespectful and / or could be detrimental to someone's wellbeing.

And over the years Sweenz has been dropped many times, possibly due to fitness, but each time he has worked hard, come back and delivered. That's what KMT wants to see, as would any manager.
Basically what you said is true what Taylor said about Parkes. He was unselectable due to his fitness and didn’t follow the fitness regime given to him which was unforgivable and then there were better options. Basically he was lazy then and not bothered about his career or he had other issues maybe?! To me it just comes across as putting the boot in and unnecessary. Just release them and move on. Are we going to have to sit through the same thing about Ben Seymour?!

Colesman Ballz

Basically what you said is true what Taylor said about Parkes. He was unselectable due to his fitness and didn’t follow the fitness regime given to him which was unforgivable and then there were better options. Basically he was lazy then and not bothered about his career or he had other issues maybe?! To me it just comes across as putting the boot in and unnecessary. Just release them and move on. Are we going to have to sit through the same thing about Ben Seymour?!
You can't have it all ways Mart. You yourself are, on many varied topics always demanding to know the whys and wherefores. I get that as fans we all have an insatiable thirst for knowledge about the Club, so how can you complain when someone is telling you "straight" how it is ? Matt has not been disrespectful in his comments, by calling someone for example "a fat lazy barsteward", but the players are paid professionals and as such are surely expected to meet appropriate standards ?
Matt, at the same time, is establishing the expected standards to the rest of the squad.

fred binneys head

Sounds like you know Tom Parkes, so maybe there’s a hidden message in there somewhere. Either way, I think what Matt did was fine. I liked Tom Parkes and he scored against argyle so I’ll forever have his name tattooed on my arse, but if he wasn’t working hard enough for Matt then he wasn’t working hard enough for me.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
And in other news, Sean Dyche's sacking means Matt Taylor is now the 10th longest serving manager in the 92.

Grecian2K

Will Covid save Matt Taylor’s job?
Possibly, but promotion definitely will!!!