• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Why Are So Few Other Clubs Trust Owned?

Cowshed Grecian

One possibility might be, after we have finished paying for the infrastructure to bring us into the 21st century (eg ground, pitch, training ground etc.), perhaps we could follow the Brentford MoneyBall thing where we invest in the squad (heaven forbid) and we groom players and sell them on for a profit which is reinvested in the squad. Obviously, when you do this in the Championship, the rewards are greater, like Brentford did, but they had to start somewhere. This way we wouldn't have to rely on our Academy, to keep unearthing gems, though I hope that this continues and we could bring in talented youngsters like Callum Rowe and sell them for a profit. Perhaps we are on that road already?
I think we are definitely on the road, with regards to players contracts for a start. The balance seems to be shifting towards us as a football team rather than just generating sales as soon as we can. It’s great to see.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
One possibility might be, after we have finished paying for the infrastructure to bring us into the 21st century (eg ground, pitch, training ground etc.), perhaps we could follow the Brentford MoneyBall thing where we invest in the squad (heaven forbid) and we groom players and sell them on for a profit which is reinvested in the squad. Obviously, when you do this in the Championship, the rewards are greater, like Brentford did, but they had to start somewhere. This way we wouldn't have to rely on our Academy, to keep unearthing gems, though I hope that this continues and we could bring in talented youngsters like Callum Rowe and sell them for a profit. Perhaps we are on that road already?
Think I've probably shared this on here before, but, for those who haven't watched it already, it provides a fascinating insight into how Brentford work:

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Think I've probably shared this on here before, but, for those who haven't watched it already, it provides a fascinating insight into how Brentford work:

Well, theres nine minutes of my life I wont get back! I have no clue what this man is trying to say, or what relevance it has to our club. I'm sure someone will quickly explain.

gilbertshoot

Well, theres nine minutes of my life I wont get back! I have no clue what this man is trying to say, or what relevance it has to our club. I'm sure someone will quickly explain.
Now you know how we feel, Pete.

i8cornwall

Just one point - England and the 92 are not the same thing when it comes to the EFL. There are 3 EFL teams in Wales and one of those is fan owned - Newport County. Surprised they haven’t been mentioned so far.
Granted it's going off on a huge tangent here but Merthyr are also fan owned and play in the English pyramid.

Had many many struggles these last few years with money at the club and was talk as recent as last summer about joining the Welsh leagues were they would get more money from TV deals, Welsh FA grants and the ability to qualify for Europe.

Number13

Not quite "Moneyball" but we have done this in the past - we bought in Golbourne, Stockley, Dunne, TAH, etc and sold them on for a profit after getting football out of them, same way that Rowe could go (he wont - hes not as good as the above four)

It comes from us, as Tisdale says (and I know that most of you cant accept he did / say anything right but he did), us being the first or last club an agent or parent calls. It doesnt have to be our own that we sell, can quite easily be others (mostly Prem) rejects that we give a platform to

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not quite "Moneyball" but we have done this in the past - we bought in Golbourne, Stockley, Dunne, TAH, etc and sold them on for a profit after getting football out of them, same way that Rowe could go (he wont - hes not as good as the above four)

It comes from us, as Tisdale says (and I know that most of you cant accept he did / say anything right but he did), us being the first or last club an agent or parent calls. It doesnt have to be our own that we sell, can quite easily be others (mostly Prem) rejects that we give a platform to
Not forgetting Lloyd James

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not forgetting Lloyd James
I'd like to try.

David Treharne

Money. We are a 'pheonix' club who were incredibly lucky to draw Man U within our first year of existence, thus wiping out our historic debt.
Unfortunately, Rob, not true. The two Man U games did not "wipe out our historic debt" - it helped substantially, but it was also down to incredible cost cutting, and money saving, which continued into the next season. Indeed Eamon Dolan (RIP) produced a hard hitting document for the Club Board in 2003 which laid out where expenditure would need to be saved into the future,and what he required to even keep a team afloat in the Conference. During 2003-2004 The Board experienced the arrival of bills and charges which had not formed the basis of what the actual debts were. A lot of the substantial savings were achieved through the efforts of the fans to undertake tasks that had either been ignored, or not carried out by previous regimes - hence "work parties" organised and co-ordinated by people who are easily overlooked when looking at the develpment 2003 to 2022

ExmouthMart

Unfortunately, Rob, not true. The two Man U games did not "wipe out our historic debt" - it helped substantially, but it was also down to incredible cost cutting, and money saving, which continued into the next season. Indeed Eamon Dolan (RIP) produced a hard hitting document for the Club Board in 2003 which laid out where expenditure would need to be saved into the future,and what he required to even keep a team afloat in the Conference. During 2003-2004 The Board experienced the arrival of bills and charges which had not formed the basis of what the actual debts were. A lot of the substantial savings were achieved through the efforts of the fans to undertake tasks that had either been ignored, or not carried out by previous regimes - hence "work parties" organised and co-ordinated by people who are easily overlooked when looking at the develpment 2003 to 2022
I don’t think anyone has been overlooked in the parts played in our re-emergence down the years and we are all thankful for everyone’s contribution in their time and effort. Surely it’s a collective effort by all of us in our own way to keep the club going in the right direction. No one should be in it for personal glory. It’s all about the cause.