• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Carlisle United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Southampton and Leeds both had very very good teams. We were clear underdogs at that time.

We had a good team but nobody anywhere near as good as the likes of Adam Lallana and Jermaine Beckford.
Don't forget Harry Maguire was in the side who conceded 4 against us for Sheffield United..whatever happened to that guy.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Without knowing the details it’s difficult to know how the travel arrangements were handled, did Matt ask for a second driver ? Did the club say no, as I say, we don’t know, I just hope any issues on travel matters is sorted PDQ because we don’t want a cheesed off manager at a crucial point of the season
He specifically said in his interview that it was his responsibility.

He is from Lancashire, he and everyone else knows only too well the perils of delays on the M6, especially the Thirwell Viaduct on a Friday. I vividly remember travelling to Accrington for an evening away game (a Friday night?) when we only got to the ground half an hour before the kick off, Tis moaned afterwards that we had not been there when he'd gone onto the terrace to chat to fans, until we explained about the delays on the M6.

As you say, we don't know the details but I find it hard to believe that if he had asked for a 2nd driver and the coach company were able to provide one the Club would have said "no", it's a trivial amount in the wider scheme of things and the whole party stay at a hotel before or after all distant away games. Hartlepool eg is only a couple of miles less distance than Carlisle.

So I suspect it was one of those occasions when something just went wrong, Matt and his team miscalculated, no harm done, no-one to blame; learn and move on. I was surprised he made such a forceful point about it in the interview.

Red Devon

This must have been photo of the day - Sweenz 😂
256865DA-7A96-4963-B591-EE1C210555F2.jpeg

fred binneys head

I’m sure he just threw it into the crowd too, didn’t even give it back to the person he took it off 🤣🤣🤣

Oldsmobile-88

No doubt singing “For he’s a jolly good driver” towards the end of the trip 😎
Just thinking back to the time I travelled on a coach for football..Early 1990s...Certainly did not sing that for our regular driver ‘Psycho’ !
Though money was collected for a tip even after the occasion when he gave out a clout to one passenger who was messing around 😁

SaintJames

It was a long but ultimately worthwhile day out for my first visit to Carlisle. The first twenty minutes we were sublime and it was symptomatic that Oz failed to score with that early chance. It illustrates just how much we are missing a striker. However, as others have said he does his bit for the team up top but doesn't have that illusive instinct. Whilst he wears our shirt he gets my full support. The day can be summed up as one of frustration. The way we passed and moved was a joy to watch, and I have never witnessed a game where we looked like we were the home team and totally dominated the ball. We created numerous chances but apart from Tim who gave it a good go we were very wasteful. Of the back boys Hartridge was the pick and just oozed compusure and made several surging runs of a Rio Ferdinand or for the older vintage Bobby Moore style. In midfield Archie was the stand out (closely followed by Tim) always offering himself and usually the one trying to make things happen. MJ was definately looking more like his old self but not quite up to vintage levels. Both Sparko and Joshy were constant threats but delivery from Jack wasn't always the best though again his performance was good. The subs were all excellent and it goes without saying when one of them scores the winner the Manager got it right :)

iscalad

That depends on who you ask. Some people will tell you that the quality of football in general now is far better than it was 13-14 years ago.
I'm not talking about the football. I'm talking about the teams.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m sure he just threw it into the crowd too, didn’t even give it back to the person he took it off 🤣🤣🤣
To be fair, the person he took it off was busy being manhandled by the stewards.

fred binneys head

It was a long but ultimately worthwhile day out for my first visit to Carlisle. The first twenty minutes we were sublime and it was symptomatic that Oz failed to score with that early chance. It illustrates just how much we are missing a striker. However, as others have said he does his bit for the team up top but doesn't have that illusive instinct. Whilst he wears our shirt he gets my full support. The day can be summed up as one of frustration. The way we passed and moved was a joy to watch, and I have never witnessed a game where we looked like we were the home team and totally dominated the ball. We created numerous chances but apart from Tim who gave it a good go we were very wasteful. Of the back boys Hartridge was the pick and just oozed compusure and made several surging runs of a Rio Ferdinand or for the older vintage Bobby Moore style. In midfield Archie was the stand out (closely followed by Tim) always offering himself and usually the one trying to make things happen. MJ was definately looking more like his old self but not quite up to vintage levels. Both Sparko and Joshy were constant threats but delivery from Jack wasn't always the best though again his performance was good. The subs were all excellent and it goes without saying when one of them scores the winner the Manager got it right :)
Not sure I’m happy with the use of Sparko or Joshy, otherwise all good.

grecIAN Harris

I'm not talking about the football. I'm talking about the teams.
Guess what, football is made up of two teams playing each other so it kind of goes hand in hand wouldn't you say?