• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Carlisle United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
You Tube highlights

Jevani tried that chip (looks like a cross) into the top corner once again, a similar effort hit the bar recently. One day …..

C j phill

Seems angry that money wasn't made available for the transport of the team over that distance. Given the amount of extra income we've had in recent weeks it seems strange that this wasn't invested in. It also looks like he has done the 'manager thing' and turned this into a siege mentality among the players, to make it a big deal and focus them on the battle element of the fixture. Love that bit. Promotion is not mentioned once in the interview by either the interviewer or Matt, which is also great. Best manager we've ever had in my opinion.
I hope it is a "siege mentality" comment, rather than the first, public fracture point between manager and Club, because we know how those generally tend to end.

fred binneys head

It’s the sort of thing that won’t help us if KMT gets other job offers.

“Hi Matt, Cardiff here. How would you like to manage in the championship, multiply your salary by 5 and have two drivers when you go on an away trip and not have to eat KFC out of a bucket just before a massive promotion match?”

haka

Highlights always look funny when the camera angle means you can see the flags but not the fans. It makes it look like our supporters headed for home before the final whistle but left the flags behind ;)

fred binneys head

Highlights always look funny when the camera angle means you can see the flags but not the fans. It makes it look like our supporters headed for home before the final whistle but left the flags behind ;)
On average, every fan brought 3 flags I think.

Grecian Max

I suppose I based my comment about loan players on our goalkeeper (for every league game this season and my player of the year) and 3 (Zanzala, Amond and Phillips) of our 4 strikers (our one permanent one longterm injured) being with us on loan.
I’d say that’s relying ‘fairly heavily‘ on loan players.
I’m not criticising that at all, but made the reference in relation to a previous post that said this season’s team is ‘much better’ than our last promotion team.
I don’t recall us having that proportion of loan players then.
I’m happy to get promoted in whatever way we have to, but when we go up we’ll need a top class keeper and 3 top class strikers to replace our current loan players.
I disagree on 2 points - 1) this current side is definitely better than the 08/09 team. More powerful, more quality across the pitch. We went up with a bounce in a league with 4 large points deductions around us, whilst not directly effecting the table changed the competitive landscape. I loved that team with it's characters and Tis at his best but this side would beat them.

2) 08/09 Loans are at least equal to the current ones, considering Oz and Phillips aren't exactly smashing it

Troy Archibald-Henville - mainstay of the defence
Stuart Fleetwood on loan - scored some important goals en route to promotion made the difference with the 4pts v daggers and brentford
Alex Russell - played an important part in midfield post Jan

We finished that season on 79 points (we sit 5 points off that with 6 to go), in second, which I think shows the reduced strength of L2 that year, and then struggled big time. I don't believe this side will struggle anywhere near as much if we do make it.

iscalad

I disagree on 2 points - 1) this current side is definitely better than the 08/09 team. More powerful, more quality across the pitch. We went up with a bounce in a league with 4 large points deductions around us, whilst not directly effecting the table changed the competitive landscape. I loved that team with it's characters and Tis at his best but this side would beat them.

2) 08/09 Loans are at least equal to the current ones, considering Oz and Phillips aren't exactly smashing it

Stuart Fleetwood on loan - scored some important goals en route to promotion made the difference with the 4pts v daggers and brentford

We finished that season on 79 points (we sit 5 points off that with 6 to go), in second, which I think shows the reduced strength of L2 that year, and then struggled big time. I don't believe this side will struggle anywhere near as much if we do make it.
The quality of L1 next season will be nowhere near the quality of teams in 08/09

grecIAN Harris

The quality of L1 next season will be nowhere near the quality of teams in 08/09
That depends on who you ask. Some people will tell you that the quality of football in general now is far better than it was 13-14 years ago.

Bridgy 81

Good points, thanks.
I hadn’t remembered that Alex Russell was initially on loan with us (I do remember his goal in the first game of the following season at Leeds!) nor that those points deductions relating to Luton and Bournemouth were that season.
As you also say 79 points was a low number to be promoted with in second place too.
I really enjoyed the season though and for different reasons our first 2 in League 1.
It’s interesting thinking back to previous teams and seasons and comparing them but in all honesty I’m just keen to get up a division again and give it a good crack.

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Good points, thanks.
I hadn’t remembered that Alex Russell was initially on loan with us (I do remember his goal in the first game of the following season at Leeds!) nor that those points deductions relating to Luton and Bournemouth were that season.
As you also say 75 points was a low number to be promoted with in second place too.
I really enjoyed the season though and for different reasons our first 2 in League 1.
It’s interesting thinking back to previous teams and seasons and comparing them but in all honesty I’m just keen to get up a division again and give it a good crack.
Darlo and Rotherham also had large deductions! Crazy year...