• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alfie Pond

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think they have a few injury worries in defence, Woody missed the last game so Neil Martin had to play LB, which leaves them short of cover at CB as Martin covers that position as well.
thanks. That seems like the most likely explanation - short term loan to cover short term problem! No guarantee he will keep a first team place there so no need to tie it to something longer (though if he does well...). As has been pointed out its quite something to get a loan at this level at 17/18 - I see that Ellis Johnson only got the Truro loan after playing two trial games for Truro.

andrew p long

I see that Alfie Pond is (still) playing on loan at Tivvy. I seem to have missed the news about his return there after his 'short term loan' from early season. Or did his loan get extended into something longer term? Anyone know the current status of his loan?

DawlishBouy

I see that Alfie Pond is (still) playing on loan at Tivvy. I seem to have missed the news about his return there after his 'short term loan' from early season. Or did his loan get extended into something longer term? Anyone know the current status of his loan?
In his “first spell” at Tivvy he was subbed off in his last game and then played very little football for City before returning so I suspect he had a few fitness issues.

Rosencrantz

Tivvy centre back Austen Booth is currently out injured (as was Gary Warren for a spell although he is now back playing) so I expect another loan spell to cover has been arranged for Alfie. Good for him to be getting competitive games at a good level and also having Gary Warren and Woody to play alongside.

andrew p long

copied over from the '21-22 out on loan' thread for posterity!

Plenty of talk on that thread about how well he is doing at Tivvy - scoring, MoTM etc. I've just noticed that he turned 18 on 1 March. Even more impressive- many of the dominant players at this age group have the physical advantage of being born in September and therefore being many months older than Alfie.

I've not seen much of him, but thought he very good in the final U23 game -v- Wolves (admittedly a weakened Wolves team). He looked our best prospect that day. Still a bit young and naive but seemed to have everything else, so agree with others that a loan again next season is right; to the highest level where he is guaranteed to get lots of game time in men's football.

Now,getting carried away perhaps - as England age eligibility is done by calendar rather than school year, might he yet be one who gets to an England U18 training camp?

Cowshed Grecian

Plenty of talk on that thread about how well he is doing at Tivvy - scoring, MoTM etc. I've just noticed that he turned 18 on 1 March. Even more impressive- many of the dominant players at this age group have the physical advantage of being born in September and therefore being many months older than Alfie.

I've not seen much of him, but thought he very good in the final U23 game -v- Wolves (admittedly a weakened Wolves team). He looked our best prospect that day. Still a bit young and naive but seemed to have everything else, so agree with others that a loan again next season is right; to the highest level where he is guaranteed to get lots of game time in men's football.

Now,getting carried away perhaps - as England age eligibility is done by calendar rather than school year, might he yet be one who gets to an England U18 training camp?
I’ve watched him 5-6 times, always looks really composed. He looks physically capable.I think MT will be looking to bring him through sooner rather than later. You can see his admiration as he’s been namedropping him for the last 18 months in interviews.

Rosencrantz

Alfie is different from what we have as he is a proper footballing centre half (not that the others can't knock the ball about a bit). I can see something similar to what happened with Jordan Storey. Once he gets a chance, he will be difficult to leave out and the scouts will be looking very quickly.

Trapdoor

MT does have history of name dropping players prior to their breakthrough. He talked about Chieck a lot before he finally got some first team action.

If he's mentioning Pond then he must be close to featuring in his plans.

STURTZ

MT does have history of name dropping players prior to their breakthrough. He talked about Chieck a lot before he finally got some first team action.

If he's mentioning Pond then he must be close to featuring in his plans.
Or maybe he's just expecting one or more of our current center backs to leave....

Last edited:

AmberRed

Alfie is a great prospect, he was brilliant in the final U23s Wolves game (which definitely wasn't a weakened team, they were all regular PL2 players/internationals). Be good to see him in and around the first team in the next couple of seasons.