• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Callum Rowe

Bridgy 81

As I recall, somewhat surprisingly given his Premier League pedigree, Matt Taylor said at the outset that Callum was very much one for the [medium-term] future and that he didn't expect him to feature too much, if at all, in the first team this season. On that basis, I'd surmise he's progressing along the lines we'd hoped for and that he's unlikely to be jettisoned at the end of the season.
Maybe that’s because the transition from the admittedly high technical level of Premier League youth/reserve football to physicality of League 2 takes some adjusting to.
If he is with us next year I ‘m scratching my head a bit to see where he fits in.

scottus86

Well, after tonight's showing he would be ahead of Atangana in the pecking order. Next season I'd like to see him and Kite forming a similar partnership to Dieng and Collins.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any particular reason/s why?
I just think that, although he looks like he has some ability and could turn out to be a decent player we have better options available. His best position looks like central midfield but we already have Collins, Dieng, Kite and Taylor under contract for next season and the likes of Dodd and Veale hopefully pushing for a chance in the first team. There might be a gap in the squad for a reserve left wing back but Callum has unfortunately struggled quite a bit whenever I've seen him play there.
A bit like Will Dean last year, he's at a stage in his career where he probably needs to drop down to a level where he has a good chance of playing regular football and play 30 or 40 games next season then assess his options going forward from there.
However, I've been wrong plenty of times before and he'll probably now go and have a blinder against Stevenage and make me eat my words.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
As I recall, somewhat surprisingly given his Premier League pedigree, Matt Taylor said at the outset that Callum was very much one for the [medium-term] future and that he didn't expect him to feature too much, if at all, in the first team this season. On that basis, I'd surmise he's progressing along the lines we'd hoped for and that he's unlikely to be jettisoned at the end of the season.
That all makes a lot of sense except for the fact we only gave him a one-year contract.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well worth keeping and developing imho. And it means that when we go shopping in the close season we needn't get any more midfielders, but concentrate on finding some good strikers. And a left back would be nice, of course

scottus86

If he can play midfield and on the left flank as cover, he is a decent utility player and could easily find himself making appearances from the bench next season.

He is a keeper for me.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well worth keeping and developing imho. And it means that when we go shopping in the close season we needn't get any more midfielders, but concentrate on finding some good strikers. And a left back would be nice, of course
Rowe was originally a left back, played there for Villa in the famous Liverpool game when Chrisene was LM. It was his "assist" for Louie Barry's goal. I imagine he could provide cover there.

Ironically Chrisene seems to be playing LB and has been sub in PL games.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
He stepped up well, two or three forward passes that Matt Gill would have been proud of.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He stepped up well, two or three forward passes that Matt Gill would have been proud of.
And a really good tackle in our box when tracking back quite late on.

Andy_H

If he can play midfield and on the left flank as cover, he is a decent utility player and could easily find himself making appearances from the bench next season.

He is a keeper for me.
Not tall enough!