• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Mansfield Town v Exeter City match day thread.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't let @Grecian Max hear you say that.
You don’t seem to understand that I think he’s a RB who has done a great job at LB. Very odd. He was once again one of our best players last night with some great balls into the box, including an in swinging chip that wouldn’t have happened on the right. ANYWAYS…

Grecian Max

Mansfield were more clinical than us. We had the majority of attacking play but both their goals were pretty straightforward to score after poor defending.

Stubbs was superb though. He’s miles better than this division and wins pretty much every battle. Amazing signing.

Matt Jay huffed and puffed and despite his goal is nothing like the player we saw for 18 months. Maybe the Covid break has affected him. Good finish at the end when the game was dead though.

Missed Brown big time as he’s been covering for Jay’s lack of creativity/decision making of late. Thought Key had another game where he was sussed too - not perhaps they 1mil player we wanted.

If we’d managed a point it probably would have felt fair. We didn’t have enough quality up top for the open 65 minutes with Phillips working hard but lot really able to hold up the ball or produce a decent a shot. Hopefully Nombe will start on Tuesday, in another difficult game albeit against a weaker side than Mansfield. I expect us to to win comfortably tbh, last night wasn’t a loss where we were outclassed or we couldn’t put a pass together - they took their chances, we didn’t.

Mansfield were more clinical than us. We had the majority of attacking play but both their goals were pretty straightforward to score after poor defending.

Stubbs was superb though. He’s miles better than this division and wins pretty much every battle. Amazing signing.

Matt Jay huffed and puffed and despite his goal is nothing like the player we saw for 18 months. Maybe the Covid break has affected him. Good finish at the end when the game was dead though.

Missed Brown big time as he’s been covering for Jay’s lack of creativity/decision making of late. Thought Key had another game where he was sussed too - not perhaps they 1mil player we wanted.

If we’d managed a point it probably would have felt fair. We didn’t have enough quality up top for the open 65 minutes with Phillips working hard but lot really able to hold up the ball or produce a decent a shot. Hopefully Nombe will start on Tuesday, in another difficult game albeit against a weaker side than Mansfield. I expect us to to win comfortably tbh, last night wasn’t a loss where we were outclassed or we couldn’t put a pass together - they took their chances, we didn’t.
You don’t seem to understand that I think he’s a RB who has done a great job at LB. Very odd. He was once again one of our best players last night with some great balls into the box, including an in swinging chip that wouldn’t have happened on the right. ANYWAYS…
I agree. For a right footed fullback Caprice has adapted remarkably well to playing at left back.

One change I think we could have made in the 2nd half was to sub off Key and introduce Sparkes, then switch Caprice to play on the right. The pitch on the left flank was so wet and muddy it nullified his attacking threat.

JCWhoosh

I think we should take heart that they clearly set up to stop us playing our game. There was only one team really wanting to win that game and they hung on to the win which is what you need to do at this level. If one of the early chances for us went in I think we would have won that game as they would have had to adapt. Dissapointed in the result but not the performance.

Bridgy 81

Note to myself
If you’ve spent a tenner on iFollow don’t drink so much wine before and whisky during the match.
I did see everything, including all 3 goals, but my recollection of the details is very hazy.
I’ve had to replay parts of the game and read this thread to fill in some of the gaps.
I’ll endeavour not to make such a schoolboy error on Tuesday evening.

Last edited:

Grecianpasty

I have to disagree with you here Max. Caprice put himself into some great positions and was easily our best outlet. However, his final ball and decision making was appauling. And whenever he did put a ball in the box it was when the Mansfield defense where able to get back into position. The ball that he put into the box which the commentators confused with a shot on target being the only real highlight.

Sparkes on the other hand put in some great deliveries, with pace and intent, looking to catch their defense off guard.

I find it difficult to understand how any professional footballer can not use both feet in the modern game. Caprice being the worst example of this.

With that said, he looked to have the beating of atkins everytime.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

fred binneys head

I find it difficult to understand how any professional footballer can not use both feet in the modern game. Caprice being the worst example of this.
This is an interesting one. I know it’s a COMPLETELY different level but my lad is strongly right footed and for the last two or three years from U15 to U18 age groups he had to play left wing. I spent time with him coaching him how to cross with his left foot and doing exercises with him and the team which involved him crossing with his left foot. He quickly picked it up and in the end had a really good left footed cross. And he was a 15 year old schoolboy who wasn’t only playing football all day every day.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
First goal offside ?
1646488292473.png

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
My take on last night (and other recent games). It'll raise some hackles.

Based on what we have seen this season, and especially since Xmas, we are two players short of a team that is league 1 standard.

Unfortunately, although I'd love this not tot be the case, those two players are Jay and Collins. You simply HAVE to compete better for the ball and be stronger in possession to succeed.