• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A view from a neutral - Bradford game

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wrong about Josh Key in general or on his performance today (or both) fred ?
Either / or - an attack on Josh is an attack on all of us. Unless he retracts his comment and confirms that Josh’s poo is pure white with no smell whatsoever, I’ll roll my eyes and tut a few times.

Either / or - an attack on Josh is an attack on all of us. Unless he retracts his comment and confirms that Josh’s poo is pure white with no smell whatsoever, I’ll roll my eyes and tut a few times.
Lets see if I change my mind after 4th March….I’d be interested to know if today was a standard performance for him or not though?

tonykellowfan

Key has looked very tired recently and well below par.

tonykellowfan

The answer to your final point came on as a sub. Sam Nombe might not be as tall as our back four but he is a handful to the point of being a centre halves worst nightmare. Strong and quick, difficult to knock off the ball. We lost our way a little when he was injured initially. He's on his way back now with three sub appearances over the last week. It won't be long before he is back in the side.
You're going to get slaughtered by some for what you've said about Key. He hasn't been quite the same since the Sunderland bid in the summer but not as bad as you were suggesting today and is probably in need of rest to freshen him up again. I'm surprised Caprice didn't start on the right today with Sparkes playing on the left.
He tried that on Tuesday and sparkes was woeful.

manc grecian

Key has looked very tired recently and well below par.
Teams are also wise to his threat. Much more than earlier in the season. He's still been very good defensively though

Intheknow84

I have to agree somewhat the key thing is an interesting one. In my book he is far overrated and I believe he has been found out. He needs to push on but I think if we can sell him the he will easily be replaced

andrew p long

nothing interesting unfortunately- just wouldn’t have been a neutral view if I did
though what was your 'non neutral' view on Dawson? The loan is just what he needed?

though what was your 'non neutral' view on Dawson? The loan is just what he needed?
Absolutely….he (and another keeper we have in Joe Wildsmith) suffered massively from not being Kieron Westwood……Westwood himself didn’t help matters by posting all over social media what he thought of things, various managers hung them both out to dry at various times and the crowd started to get at him for every mistake, big or small….leading to a goal or not.

today he did what he had to do….both saves were good while at the same time it would have been poor had they gone in. I’m a bit old school where keepers are concerned and want them to claim anything in the air in the 6 yard box but at the same time I’m aware that this isnt the modern way.

similarly “distribution“….I like to judge my keepers on how well they keep the ball out of the net yet more and more it’s seems that ability with the feet is becoming more important than with the hands.

Dawson got loads of grief for his kicking at Hillsborough and yet he was probably the most 2 footed player we had……ask a keeper to slam the ball down the middle of the pitch and they’ll do it all day long, probably further than any outfield player can. But that doesn’t happen often, centre forwards tend to go out wide these days and in aiming for them there will always be a percentage that go out of play….hence grief for the keeper.

Today I dont think he can be faulted at all for his distribution, kicks were all where you’d want them to go and there were a couple of early throw outs to release Caprice in the first half.

also worth remembering that the best keeper distributors cost around £50 million!

robchave

Josh Key can be good but can also be distinctly average, as he's been for the past few games. It seems to me that he's good when he arrives at speed, but perhaps he lacks the acceleration to go past his man if he's not already travelling. We seem to have seen little of him running into the box recently.

simcity

Think Josh Key is due a rest, he's played 2597/2610 minutes in the league so far this season. Last time he didn't play was the last 7 minutes at Rochdale at the end of November.

For the player like him who uses his pace he needs time to re-charge the batteries and don't think he's been given that chance recently!