• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A view from a neutral - Bradford game

Got up to Valley Parade (or whatever it’s called these days) as my team (Wednesday) don’t play until tomorrow and thought I’d give you my neutral view on your lot.

The following are just random notes, in no particular order, some based on what I’d been asked to look at, some on what I heard on the day and mainly just based on being in a position to be able to watch without the normal rose tinted glasses on that we all, if we are honest, know we wear.

so first off…..the fans…I’m used to being part of large away followings but fans today were top notch, I’m staggered to read there were only 300 odd there as it sounded a lot more……never stopped singing all game, a good mix of songs as well. Drummer is interesting, what’s the view on that……we had one at Hillsborough for a few years including a full band at one bit (same one as the England band) but it massively split the fan base……many felt it created a false atmosphere and that it reduced the sporadic nature of chants…eventually they were banned from bringing in their instrument.

Overall the win was nothing less than deserved……Bradford were useless

Defensively you looked the real deal…..3 absolute monsters at the back and I know it may be a cliche but that is exactly what you need in the lower divisions.

up front it was almost exactly the opposite, you looked far too lightweight for me…Brown was ok, seemed to have something about him and on another day would have had a few goals……Phillips however was a different kettle of fish…..and yes I know he got the winner but honestly it was like watching a raffle winner turn out….far too lightweight and although not slow, not fast enough given that I’m not sure what other attributes he brings to the party.

On to Caprice and to answer what some asked me earlier in the week….yes absolutely, 100% he should play at right wing back. First half especially he was head and shoulders above everyone else but struggled with a delivery due to having to cut back inside or use his left foot. Would love to see him marauding down the right…..especially as the player taking that spot was…..

Key……worst player on the pitch by a mile……someone told me you’d turned down a 7 figure bid for him…..that can’t be true…if it is then you should have snapped their hands off…..Appreciate I’ve only watched one game but really couldn’t see the point of him.

Dieng looked very tidy and I can see him playing at a higher level

Collins was an interesting one because just the way he carries himself with a little bit of swagger makes you think he’s a player and put a couple of fantastic balls through in the first half but he also made a lot of bad decisions…..fixing that normally comes with time and experience and it will be interesting to see if that happens at Exeter, elsewhere or indeed at all

Matt Jay looked every inch the captain that he was when he came on and you’ll be lucky to keep him if you don’t go up.

if you can get / have someone with the stature of your back 3 to play up front I can see you’d be a handful for anyone in this division and many in league 1.

Hoping to get to the Mansfield game in March so be interesting to see if some of the views are cemented or changed….good luck for the rest of the season

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Got up to Valley Parade (or whatever it’s called these days) as my team (Wednesday) don’t play until tomorrow and thought I’d give you my neutral view on your lot.

The following are just random notes, in no particular order, some based on what I’d been asked to look at, some on what I heard on the day and mainly just based on being in a position to be able to watch without the normal rose tinted glasses on that we all, if we are honest, know we wear.

so first off…..the fans…I’m used to being part of large away followings but fans today were top notch, I’m staggered to read there were only 300 odd there as it sounded a lot more……never stopped singing all game, a good mix of songs as well. Drummer is interesting, what’s the view on that……we had one at Hillsborough for a few years including a full band at one bit (same one as the England band) but it massively split the fan base……many felt it created a false atmosphere and that it reduced the sporadic nature of chants…eventually they were banned from bringing in their instrument.

Defensively you looked the real deal…..3 absolute monsters at the back and I know it may be a cliche but that is exactly what you need in the lower divisions.

up front it was almost exactly the opposite, you looked far too lightweight for me…Brown was ok, seemed to have something about him and on another day would have had a few goals……Phillips however was a different kettle of fish…..and yes I know he got the winner but honestly it was like watching a raffle winner turn out….far too lightweight and although not slow, not fast enough given that I’m not sure what other attributes he brings to the party.

On to Caprice and to answer what some asked me earlier in the week….yes absolutely, 100% he should play at right wing back. First half especially he was head and shoulders above everyone else but struggled with a delivery due to having to cut back inside or use his left foot. Would love to see him marauding down the right…..especially as the player taking that spot was…..

Key……worst player on the pitch by a mile……someone told me you’d turned down a 7 figure bid for him…..that can’t be true…if it is then you should have snapped their hands off…..Appreciate I’ve only watched one game but really couldn’t see the point of him.

Collins was an interesting one because just the way he carries himself with a little bit of swagger makes you think he’s a player and put a couple of fantastic balls through in the first half but he also made a lot of bad decisions…..fixing that normally comes with time and experience and it will be interesting to see if that happens at Exeter, elsewhere or indeed at all

Matt Jay looked every inch the captain that he was when he came on and you’ll be lucky to keep him if you don’t go up.

if you can get / have someone with the stature of your back 3 to play up front I can see you’d be a handful for anyone in this division and many in league 1.

Hoping to get to the Mansfield game in March so be interesting to see if some of the views are cemented or changed….good luck for the rest of the season
The answer to your final point came on as a sub. Sam Nombe might not be as tall as our back four but he is a handful to the point of being a centre halves worst nightmare. Strong and quick, difficult to knock off the ball. We lost our way a little when he was injured initially. He's on his way back now with three sub appearances over the last week. It won't be long before he is back in the side.
You're going to get slaughtered by some for what you've said about Key. He hasn't been quite the same since the Sunderland bid in the summer but not as bad as you were suggesting today and is probably in need of rest to freshen him up again. I'm surprised Caprice didn't start on the right today with Sparkes playing on the left.

Avening Posse

Many thanks for your neutral view which was impressively detailed bearing in mind you wouldn’t have known the players beforehand. I’m sure others will say the same, but Key is the real deal. I didn’t see the game today so can’t comment on that, but he’s a class act. Good luck to Wednesday for the rest of the season

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
If our Northern Correspondent is indeed the scout I believe he is then at least we have got Josh for another season !
UTC

AmberRed

Interesting that as a Wednesday fan you didn't give an opinion on Cam?

Oldsmobile-88

On the subject of Drumming...I love it at away games(home ones too) it really adds to the atmosphere I think.

fred binneys head

Love the drum and love Josh Key. Interesting observations though from someone who didn’t have to go in our end and didn’t have to give us his thoughts. Appreciated. Wrong about Josh, but appreciated.

Alistair20000

Love the drum and love Josh Key. Interesting observations though from someone who didn’t have to go in our end and didn’t have to give us his thoughts. Appreciated. Wrong about Josh, but appreciated.
Wrong about Josh Key in general or on his performance today (or both) fred ?

denzel

Didn't the Bradford fan who posted on the first day of the season also say that Key was rubbish?

Interesting that as a Wednesday fan you didn't give an opinion on Cam?
nothing interesting unfortunately- just wouldn’t have been a neutral view if I did