• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Strange how in certain quarters, while calling political rivals "scum" is claimed to be grievously offensive, referring to a member of the opposition as a "gobsh!te" seems to be regarded as perfectly acceptable. 🤔
#doublestandards

Reactions: DB9

Rosencrantz

As far as those on social media go I think it is often a mix of class and misogyny or old fashioned sexism to a lesser extent in the way some are attacked. Jess Phillips gets the same kind of attention mostly for no more than she is a woman who says what she thinks in a loud Brummie accent. I like her straight talking and passion, at least you are sure she means what she says even if you might not always agree. Whether that is PM material or not, she is an MP who I would be happy to have more of.

Alistair20000

Oh i don't know about that Al, PMQ's is often seen as how a PM/Opposition leader is doing and if they're in trouble.
Nah. Bill Hague regularly got the better of the Rev Blair in the Punch & Judy show. Not that it got him anywhere in the 2001 GE.

tavyred

Strange how in certain quarters, while calling political rivals "scum" is claimed to be grievously offensive, referring to a member of the opposition as a "gobsh!te" seems to be regarded as perfectly acceptable. 🤔
#doublestandards
None of us on here are elected representatives seeking high office G2K.
That’s how in certain quarters people on her can refer to a woman politician as a “witch” yet still sit in moral judgment on others. 🤔
#doublestandards.

arthur

I agree with you on Angela Rayner. I see nothing that encourages me to believe she would be any good in playing a part at competently governing the country. And yes, Sir Keith agrees but was politically too weak to marginalise her
My dear Al ,

It is not possible to marginalise an elected deputy leader

Mr Jinx

...don't give a flying feck for their supporter base.....
Which is what is being said about Labour (ie losing touch with the white working classes).

Mr Jinx

Nah. Bill Hague regularly got the better of the Rev Blair in the Punch & Judy show. Not that it got him anywhere in the 2001 GE.
Hague at his very best...

Avening Posse

Scary stuff! on a different perhaps less serious note how do the Aussie's view Boris's shenanigans or do they not care as it is nothing to do with them.
Not really a biggie over here, there are plenty of dodgy politicians over here for the locals to get excited about

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Johnson has now matched Theresa May’s worst approval rating of -42, down from -24 a week ago.

angelic upstart

The thing that gets me is that Johnson, Rees-Mogg etc are so "Establishment" its scary, They have grown up with a total sense of entitlement all their lives, Thinking they make the rules but not adhere to them. It seems to me there are some double standards as well with voters, Even on here Johnson and Co seem to be the saviour of the UK and they are free to do what they want because they speak well and quote Latin but when Angela Rayner stands up and says what she feels she is treated like some "Gobshite Northener" who can't speak properly. Just total inverted snobbery by people imo, Its like just because Johnson and Co went to posh, private schools it somehow makes them more intelligent and "Better" than us, Well all i can say, You can pay a fortune for an Education but it doesn't make you "Better" because you can quote Latin.
Not being funny here. But the conservative party, traditionally stand for the middle and upper classes. It stands to reason they'll sneer and the working classes. They always mock an accent. Dennis Skinner always was openly mocked by the conservatives.

Somehow what's happened is that clumps of the working classes, feel that the conservatives are a better option than the traditional working class party of Labour. I genuinely think this is ultimately down to two reasons. We've adopted a culture that implies, that the ordinary person can "make it big" which is largely nonsense, but people buy into the theory and the slow death of the unions and the way in which they regularly moan about pointless stuff annoys many that just want to keep their head down and do a day's work. How it's done to this is something labour need to address and fairly urgently if they ever want to govern again.