• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January Transfer Window 2022

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd be surprised if we got more than 750k for MJ.

Absolutely no way we would get more than 1m as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Memphis09

StudentGrecian

I'd be surprised if we got more than 750k for MJ.

Absolutely no way we would get more than 1m as mentioned earlier in the thread.
I think that’s why he won’t leave. I think the club will have set the figure at around £1 million though, because we aren’t in a position where we need to sell.

I get the £1 million+ valuations because he is that important to our season and I’d be gutted to lose him this window for anything less. But in reality no (sensible) club will pay that much money for a player who is probably reaching his limit now, coming into his prime footballing years.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm not so sure we rejected 1 million for Key in the summer. I think we wanted something close to that and no one came in at that figure.
The problem here is what each side said and the way the offer was structured. Originally there was talk of a Sunderland bid of around 300k for Josh.

Subsequently they made a total of four offers which were rejected.

Sunderland said that the last offer *could* have been worth £1million plus. But that was inclusive of add ons. City seemed to want £1million plus cash up front before add ons. Its quite a common technique when a club says they want a specific sum to put together a bid that reaches that sum inclusive of add ons that are subject to conditions very unlikely to be fulfilled.

So even though Sunderland had bandied 'one million offer rejected' about the reality is that it was (much) less

manc grecian

I think that’s why he won’t leave. I think the club will have set the figure at around £1 million though, because we aren’t in a position where we need to sell.

I get the £1 million+ valuations because he is that important to our season and I’d be gutted to lose him this window for anything less. But in reality no (sensible) club will pay that much money for a player who is probably reaching his limit now, coming into his prime footballing years.
Very similar to Stockley in terms of how far up the football pyramid he could play at.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very similar to Stockley in terms of how far up the football pyramid he could play at.
Yeah, I think MJ could probably do a decent enough job for someone in League 1 - I don't think he'd set the league alight.

He's a very good League 2 player and I'd say he's worth 500-700k.

SaintJames

I agree Student. MJ is more valuable to us because we have practically set the team up to allow him free licence. I simply cant see teams higher up the pyramid playing in a similar way as there will be more than one creative goal scoring threats in a top L1 team let alone Championship. You dont get the best out of MJ in CM or up top or out wide so for me max of £500k

andrew p long

Puzzling. I wonder

- what 'substantial' meant particularly as a) its said we have other offers made which by definition weren't substantial b) it didn't match our valuation?

- why the player wasn't named, when MT has previously been open about offers being made for Josh Key?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Puzzling. I wonder

- what 'substantial' meant particularly as a) its said we have other offers made which by definition weren't substantial b) it didn't match our valuation?

- why the player wasn't named, when MT has previously been open about offers being made for Josh Key?
Perhaps MT is beginning to learn about being too open about things and has seen how it unsettles players, or perhaps not.........

iscalad

Puzzling. I wonder

Maybe negotiations are ongoing