• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FGR v Exeter Matchday Thread

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agree to a point, I wouldn't take my daughter to an away game - isn't that a bit sad though?
Yes? No? I don't really know. The weirdness in protecting kids from words they either don't understand or if they do will be old enough to have heard them in the playground... it's like no one was ever a kid on here. Just puritan adults. I remember being in the Cowshed with Abel Xavier getting pelters and being called a **** in the FA Cup game and loving it 😂 - did i come home and say the same thing to my mum? No, because that's part of the learning experience as a kid. Football is outlet where you might hear stuff you don't in Sainsburys.

Depends on your expectations, if we want to scrub the life out of football crowds, no swearing, no hostility just happy family fun then go for it I guess. Nothing to offend anyone at any time 💕

You'll hear just as much swearing and "interesting" takes from the old boys anyway.

geoffwp

The chant I remember directed at Athena had the same tune but was more of a proctological enquiry.
I had to look that one up!!😆

ExmouthMart

What’s the JMT chant?! Can’t be as bad as the McCormick one or the one about Alan Nicholls years ago. Both cross the line for different reasons. Most chanting is part and parcel of spectating particularly in a Derby. My favourite being who ate all the pies aimed vaguely at anyone who hasn’t seen their toes for awhile……
Didn’t JMT and Tisdale use a clause in his contract to engineer a move to MK Dons where by he went for a ‘free’ because we weren’t promoted or something?!

ExmouthMart

Yes? No? I don't really know. The weirdness in protecting kids from words they either don't understand or if they do will be old enough to have heard them in the playground... it's like no one was ever a kid on here. Just puritan adults. I remember being in the Cowshed with Abel Xavier getting pelters and being called a **** in the FA Cup game and loving it 😂 - did i come home and say the same thing to my mum? No, because that's part of the learning experience as a kid. Football is outlet where you might hear stuff you don't in Sainsburys.

Depends on your expectations, if we want to scrub the life out of football crowds, no swearing, no hostility just happy family fun then go for it I guess. Nothing to offend anyone at any time 💕

You'll hear just as much swearing and "interesting" takes from the old boys anyway.
What about questioning the long term viability of the Manager and meat on the bone questions about The Trust etc. Asking for a friend……

Antony Moxey

Agree to a point, I wouldn't take my daughter to an away game - isn't that a bit sad though?
Yes, very. What’s the difference in going to an away game as opposed to a home game - you still hear (roughly) the same chants, it’s just that they come from different areas of the ground. I never had any qualms about taking my kids to games home or away and simply explained any obscene chanting as it being rude words that I’d be disappointed if I ever heard them using them.

Of course, and it really is true, it’s usually trotted out at times like these that they’ll have heard most of the words regularly at school. It’s you who’s more embarrassed by it all, not them.

SaintJames

Totally agree and as someone who rarely swears I dont get offended by industrial language at football which is tribal and passionate. I thought the FGR Mysoginist thread was reminescent of people who thought they had booked tickets for the theatre and attended the footy by accident :)

geoffwp

I never fekkin swear at a fekkin game me.

sign of the chimes

I had to look that one up!!😆
I hope you wore gloves.

Red Bill

I think its a bit sad that you feel your daughter is so delicate. I don't know what it was like when you were young, but when I was a kid in the 60s and 70s there were no words I heard at football that I didn't already know and regularly use.

geoffwp

I'm sorry that exeweb isnt the most supportive of places at times. I think, as a parent, you have to do what YOU feel is right for your child as well as yourself. Nobody else's opinion really matters in this. Also, your child isnt going to grow up deprived if they miss watching city away.