• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ray Illingworth

Yorkshire, Leicestershire and England cricketer.

One of only a few to score 20,000 runs and take 2,000 wickets in first class cricket.

Captained England very successfully 1969-1973 including winning the Ashas in Oz in 1970/71.

A tough and even curmudgeonly captain. Would not suffer fools but managed “difficult“ characters such as Geoff Boycott and John Snow brilliantly. Understood the game as well as anyone and was a shrewd tactician.

RIP
Always liked the story about Illingworth going in at number 11 when he was captain so he was as far away from Boycott as possible. Not sure how many times that actually happened as before my time.

Oldsmobile-88

Always liked the story about Illingworth going in at number 11 when he was captain so he was as far away from Boycott as possible. Not sure how many times that actually happened as before my time.
I remember listening to a interview with Boycott when he was still playing being asked about the best captain he played with or against,he said that Illingworth was the best.

Rosencrantz

I remember listening to a interview with Boycott when he was still playing being asked about the best captain he played with or against,he said that Illingworth was the best.
Doesn't mean they liked each other though 🙂. Illingworth's captaincy stats and Geoffrey's batting under speak for themselves though. Another anecdote that has done the rounds about Boycott is when he asked a teammate why everyone took an instant dislike to him. "It just saves time Geoffrey" came the reply 🙂.

Oldsmobile-88

Doesn't mean they liked each other though 🙂. Illingworth's captaincy stats and Geoffrey's batting under speak for themselves though. Another anecdote that has done the rounds about Boycott is when he asked a teammate why everyone took an instant dislike to him. "It just saves time Geoffrey" came the reply 🙂.
Indeed...Just shows the complexity of the character that is Geoffrey Boycott.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ray Illingworth

Yorkshire, Leicestershire and England cricketer.

One of only a few to score 20,000 runs and take 2,000 wickets in first class cricket.

Captained England very successfully 1969-1973 including winning the Ashas in Oz in 1970/71.

A tough and even curmudgeonly captain. Would not suffer fools but managed “difficult“ characters such as Geoff Boycott and John Snow brilliantly. Understood the game as well as anyone and was a shrewd tactician.

RIP
Yes, one of the toughest captains England have had. Respected by his players, and always looked after their interests.

Oldsmobile-88

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Archbishop Desmond Tutu (90)

grecIAN Harris

Archbishop Desmond Tutu aged 90. For me as young kid, whilst Nelson Mandela was still in jail, he was the leading light in fighting apartheid in South Africa. Whether he was or not, I couldn't tell you but his beaming face was always the one I associated with it.

iscalad

Archbishop Desmond Tutu (90)
Had the pleasure of serving him a pint when he was given an honorary doctorate at the University. A great man. RIP

DB9

Former Radio 1 and Radio 2 presenter Janice Long dies aged 66. RIP