• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheick Diabate

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Diabate on his loan spell at Truro. A fair bit of it is entirely unsurprising but the new things I took from it were a) in U18s he was always bigger than opponents so Truro gave him previously rare experience of playing against bigger opponents and b) his religious faith - the second young defender (Josh Key the other ) for whom this is both very important and publicly spoken about.
It's just really, really encouraging to see players feeling comfortable talking about their lives outside football and not feeling they have to hide anything or try to conform to some traditional stereotype of what a footballer should be.

As for Chieck, as a South London boy, he must be desperately hoping that the Sutton game goes ahead in front of the crowds so that he can potentially have the chance to play in front of lots of his friends and family.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's just really, really encouraging to see players feeling comfortable talking about their lives outside football and not feeling they have to hide anything or try to conform to some traditional stereotype of what a footballer should be.

As for Chieck, as a South London boy, he must be desperately hoping that the Sutton game goes ahead in front of the crowds so that he can potentially have the chance to play in front of lots of his friends and family.
Do we know how he came to join our Academy ?

MerleyRed

Do we know how he came to join our Academy ?
If I recall correctly, he was released by Stevenage and was picked up by City at the trials that a lot of the released lads attend when trying to find a new club.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
If I recall correctly, he was released by Stevenage and was picked up by City at the trials that a lot of the released lads attend when trying to find a new club.
that is my recollection too.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
that is my recollection too.
That's what I thought too.

Jeff Wood

When Chieck says “know what I mean” he doesn’t half sound like Frank Bruno!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I didn't see all of last night's game but it sounds like Cheick played very well again. If he keeps it up he's going to make it very difficult for Matt Taylor to drop him from the team, even when everyone else is fit.

tonykellowfan

Diabate will be behind our first choice centre backs when they are fit: Sweeney, Ray and Hartridge. Stubbs will also play ahead of him when available.

However he has shown in the 2 games that he has what it takes and I can easily see him getting more game time over the season (there are still a lot of games to play).

Most likely he will be brought through and replace one of the more senior CBs when their contract is up.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Diabate will be behind our first choice centre backs when they are fit: Sweeney, Ray and Hartridge. Stubbs will also play ahead of him when available.

However he has shown in the 2 games that he has what it takes and I can easily see him getting more game time over the season (there are still a lot of games to play).

Most likely he will be brought through and replace one of the more senior CBs when their contract is up.
Agreed, he's not going to be automatic first choice yet but he's shown the manager he can be trusted in the first team and that he doesn't need to sign a centre-half.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster

NO when our centre backs leave this will not be the reason, exeweb lore has it that they have had a bust up with MT and that they have fallen out big time, and there will be months of relentless I miss so & so, particularly when one of the CB's makes a howler, the mere fact that we currently have Sweeney Ray Hartridge Stubbs Dyer Diabate Pond Grounds who are all vying for 2/3 positions does not come into it. SO wake up and smell the coffee.