• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge United v Exeter City FA Cup 2nd Round Match Day Thread

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
My conclusion is that he either did not know the laws of the game, or that he panicked under pressure from the Cambridge crowd and players, and capitulated. Either way it is a depressing example of the weakness we see regularly from officials. It is why players from every team pressurise referees: it works. You get decisions overturned in your favour as a result.
sadly this is so true. We know how it all works. Once the referee has given an important decision for the away side he doesn't want stick from the home fans if they lose, so he looks for a decision to 'even things up'. Right from the penalty I knew the ref would make a big call against us at some stage. Frankly I suspected that would be sending off Ray due to the running battle he was having with Ironside.

So it makes sense for teams to make the referee think that he's got a decision wrong by surrounding him. It now makes sense, in terms of winning games, for every club's players to do what the Cambridge players did...but that is so bad for the game.

Oh ...and consistency. Matt Taylor booked for dissent. Law 12 cautions (bookings) for any 'dissent by word or action' So why weren't the Cambridge players complaining about the linesman's decision booked? We all know why - its because it is a law that weak officials and officialdom have consistently failed to enforce, so much so that it has fallen into disrespect.

(to repeat what my referee instructor Bob Bassindale said when I was qualifying as a referee 30+ years ago - ' a player comes chasing after me only for one of two things - a yellow card or a red card')

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
sadly this is so true. We know how it all works. Once the referee has given an important decision for the away side he doesn't want stick from the home fans if they lose, so he looks for a decision to 'even things up'. Right from the penalty I knew the ref would make a big call against us at some stage. Frankly I suspected that would be sending off Ray due to the running battle he was having with Ironside.

So it makes sense for teams to make the referee think that he's got a decision wrong by surrounding him. It now makes sense, in terms of winning games, for every club's players to do what the Cambridge players did...but that is so bad for the game.

Oh ...and consistency. Matt Taylor booked for dissent. Law 12 cautions (bookings) for any 'dissent by word or action' So why weren't the Cambridge players complaining about the linesman's decision booked? We all know why - its because it is a law that weak officials and officialdom have consistently failed to enforce, so much so that it has fallen into disrespect.

(to repeat what my referee instructor Bob Bassindale said when I was qualifying as a referee 30+ years ago - ' a player comes chasing after me only for one of two things - a yellow card or a red card')
There was an interesting and perhaps unintentionally honest tweet after the game from the Cambridge keeper. I know I'll get accused of being naive and idealistic but, personally, I'm quite glad the City players are not willing to win at any cost.

Devonbean

Class 1 FA Referee 1971 (retired) Byl. I still know when I see a player possibly getting clipped going down late. Some refs would have given that, a lot wouldnt. We were lucky to get that penalty, but it didnt matter in the end, did it?
Well, you certainly refereed an Exeter Sunday League division 1 game on 09.01.72 Stoke Hill v Crescent !

Fareham Grecian

What he actually said to the linesman was "look do you really want to travel all the way to Exeter on a Tuesday night for the replay?"
And ‘I know at least one Exeter fan who will support you if you give the wrong decision, as long as it is against them’

Colesman Ballz

He was probably but not given so need to move on. I just hope we haven't got any fines in place for being booked for dissent as it's a very poor example from our manager.
Oh come down off your high horse ! As a manager you are demonstrating your support for your players, and a damned sight more effectively than simply wearing a cravat ! :p

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh come down off your high horse ! As a manager you are demonstrating your support for your players, and a damned sight more effectively than simply wearing a cravat ! :p
………Seconded.

CC

Cambridge drawn away at Newcastle in the 3rd round...

CWH-NYC_

That’s a shame, can’t get to repeat our past glories against the black and white.

grecIAN Harris

Cambridge drawn away at Newcastle in the 3rd round...
Gutted.........

gui

Fuming 😤