• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Your point about refugees shouldn't distract from the more important point that high taxes and higher spending can be an effective way to run a country.
Suzi, you’ve just endorsed this Government’s current economic policy.
Although I’ve just read that Sunak is planning to cut income tax and/or VAT before the next election.

Mr Jinx

Shell axes North Sea Oil project.

Sturgeon's Scottish Independence dream now in tatters.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Shell axes North Sea Oil project.

Sturgeon's Scottish Independence dream now in tatters.
Don't think it's that simple, many countries are worse off after gaining independence.

tavyred

Don't think it's that simple, many countries are worse off after gaining independence.
In Scotland’s case of course they were considerably worse off before they decided to help create GB a mere 400 years ago, if I recall correctly the Scots were bankrupt in 1707.
Scotland is no victim of colonial conquest BTW, it’s a fully franchised member nation of a country that wouldn’t have existed had Scots not chosen join in with the project that created it.

Mr Jinx

Scottish Independence financial modelling was done on the basis that much of North Sea Oil would become theirs.

That's why they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. They're wanting to be seen as green, but they also need the oil.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Scottish Independence financial modelling was done on the basis that much of North Sea Oil would become theirs.

That's why they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. They're wanting to be seen as green, but they also need the oil.
As I said before im looking forward to an independent Scotland, England and Wales and a united Ireland

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
As I said before im looking forward to an independent Scotland, England and Wales and a united Ireland
Welsh independence will not happen in our lifetimes.

tavyred

Welsh independence will not happen in our lifetimes.
The English people voting for an overtly English separatist party is the only threat to the Union that I can see.
If you reside in the three devolved nations of the U.K. the benefits of the Union are clear and obvious.

angelic upstart

The English people voting for an overtly English separatist party is the only threat to the Union that I can see.
If you reside in the three devolved nations of the U.K. the benefits of the Union are clear and obvious.
But their freedom is more important than a couple quid extra. This is likely about sovereignty.

tavyred

But their freedom is more important than a couple quid extra. This is likely about sovereignty.
Any imagined grievance by a lunatic minority about ‘freedom and sovereignty’ is dwarfed by the economic reality of the ‘English subsidy’ AU.
Most of them actually view the U.K. as their own country and have no problem with it of course.