• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
So disillusioned with politics that if there was a General Election tomorrow, or anytime soon for that matter, for the first time in my life, I wouldn't bother voting.
Always vote, just avoid the duopoly at the top.

Pobbop

So disillusioned with politics that if there was a General Election tomorrow, or anytime soon for that matter, for the first time in my life, I wouldn't bother voting.
Honestly without getting too bumptious, isn't this exactly why we are where we are. There's been one party in Government for over a decade, and your response at their fecklessness is to say, oh I'm not going to vote. Oh that'll teach 'em when they get in again, with less people voting.

Look I'm not saying vote Labour, but disillusionment and staying at home is exactly what Boris want's. I do think voting Labour is better than the venal corrupt nonsense at the top of British Politics ATM, but if you don't want to vote for them vote another option, if enough do than it may show the main parties up.

Yet the phrase we get the politicians we deserve is summed up by not voting.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... So who would vote Tory ? They have to get rid.
Even allowing for all the daftness going on at the mo, there still isn't a credible opposition to vote for. 🤷‍♀️ imo, naturlich.
Quite understandable. Whilst I always try to vote, I did once spoil my ballot paper* as there really wasn't anyone I felt I could vote for.

* but do try to keep anything out of the box. :LOL:
Penis mightier than the sword ...

dontpassback

Don’t vote,it only encourages em !!!!

tavyred

I think there’s been too much politics these last 5 or so years and people have become heartily sick of it all. I know people on both sides of the political spectrum who once used to be quite politically engaged and now refuse talk about it in any meaningful way and consequently they say they are disinclined to vote for anyone. I think the combination of Brexit and the pandemic has induced a weariness in people and lot of them have chosen not to expend any of their intellectual energy on anything other than family, friends and perhaps work.

Mr Jinx

I do as it happens. Le Pen and the bloke beginning with Z are splitting the right wing vote. I can see someone else sneaking second and blagging their way past him. Not definite by any stretch but his popularity wanes a tiny bit every day.
Better get down the bookies quickly then.

Mr Jinx

Cannot escape thinking that the latest Covid “crisis” is very useful political cover for Bunter and his untalented ministers from all their recent disasters.
Agree, it might buy him a bit of time to get his act in order again.

He really needs to work out what he stands for...it's turning into a confused mess.

Is he actually conservative? i.e. tough on immigration, low taxes. I wouldn't say that he is. I hear reports today that he's blaming Patel for not get a grip on the Dinghy fiasco. I mean ffs Boris wake up and smell some coffee.

Is he left leaning? Levelling up is one thing, but then there was the U turn on northern HS2.

Bozza's premiership is turning into the Daily Mail under Geordie Greig: trying to be all things for all people, but ending up in a directionless jumble.

Luckily for him Labour are even more of a mess. They should be miles ahead in the polls by now, but aren't.

Alistair20000

Agree, it might buy him a bit of time to get his act in order again.

He really needs to work out what he stands for...it's turning into a confused mess.

Is he actually conservative? i.e. tough on immigration, low taxes. I wouldn't say that he is. I hear reports today that he's blaming Patel for not get a grip on the Dinghy fiasco. I mean ffs Boris wake up and smell some coffee.

Is he left leaning? Levelling up is one thing, but then there was the U turn on northern HS2.

Bozza's premiership is turning into the Daily Mail under Geordie Greig: trying to be all things for all people, but ending up in a directionless jumble.

Luckily for him Labour are even more of a mess. They should be miles ahead in the polls by now, but aren't.
Bunter just makes it up as he goes along. Don’t look for a consistent set of values and objectives.

angelic upstart

Agree, they should be ahead in the polls, but how are they more of a mess?

manc grecian

Bunter just makes it up as he goes along. Don’t look for a consistent set of values and objectives.
Indeed. He stands for whatever he thinks is popular. Fine when winning an election. Not so great when you have to govern