• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EFL Trophy 2021/22 (Pizza tournament)

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just had a thought. As Joey Barton believes our second string is our first string, what about on Tuesday 30th having a double header (subject of course to Chas's agreement). We could have an entre of Pizza, play our second string against Portsmouth say with six o'clock kick off and the main event at 8.00 clock Exeter v Bradford subject of course to penalties in the Pizza match. Potential five hours of entertainment, see the whole squad in action without bringing on a sixth sub. Charge a bit more 'cos it's two matches and you'll still probably make more than if you held the pizza match separately plus buy in a few more pies in view of the amount of time the crowd will be in the ground. Pure Gold

In view of the few that Bradford bought down they could occupy the left hand section of the away end, and Portsmouth who may have more but not that many more bearing in mind the competition could occupy the right hand side.
The one possible issue with that is that the under 23s are supposed to be at Swansea in the U23 PL cup that same night.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
The one possible issue with that is that the under 23s are supposed to be at Swansea in the U23 PL cup that same night.
Could the U18's stand in perhaps?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Damn so much for a double header - Portsmouth match to be Mid December now possibly the 14th as long as there is no replay against Cambridge should we get through, if not would have to be the 21st, still liked my money spinning double header idea

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apologies for starting this so soon but I saw this and didn't know where else to put it.

Markbb87

Apologies for starting this so soon but I saw this and didn't know where else to put it.

So we can make 6 subs?!

Rosencrantz

So we can make 6 subs?!
Only between full time and penalties 😉

Edit: Having now read the article, since when have they started playing extra time in the trophy again?

Double edit: Answering my own question, only in the final.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/the-key-papa-johns-trophy-rule-change-that-could-benefit-sunderland-against-oldham-in-second-round-tie-3471847?amp

No wonder there is room for confusion with so many cup competitions seemingly operating under different regulations 🙄

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only between full time and penalties 😉

Edit: Having now read the article, since when have they started playing extra time in the trophy again?

Double edit: Answering my own question, only in the final.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/the-key-papa-johns-trophy-rule-change-that-could-benefit-sunderland-against-oldham-in-second-round-tie-3471847?amp

No wonder there is room for confusion with so many cup competitions seemingly operating under different regulations 🙄
Probably safest to not make any subs at all!

Red Bill

All the articles say we mistakenly used a sixth sub rather than more accurately saying, 'after we were mistakenly told we could use a sixth sub'. Seems like pointing out the incompetence of FA officials is taboo!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Threads merged.

Red Devon

Probably safest to not make any subs at all!
Would prefer a set in stone 3 across all competitions with a fourth allowed for games going into extra time.