• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A face you would never tire of punching

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don’t have a question Al but apologies if you (and others) think I’m over reacting but I’m reluctant to be involved with a forum which, even if it’s a joke, thinks violence against women is acceptable.
Maybe this is not the thread for you Bridgy.

Bridgy 81

Fair enough.
But I can’t separate a thread like this from the forum more generally.
I think it’s best I bow out and leave you and others to it.
All the best.

Spoonz Red E

It's an interesting one this and I have a great deal of empathy with what Bridgy is saying.

There was a thread that I thought was misogynistic (the yay or nay thread) even allowing for 'post modernism'.

I've never been inclined to add a post to this thread but I also don't take the OP's intention as being literal.
Rather, in context, I see it much like cartoon violence or, as Angelic Upstart notes, an outlet.

Context can be one of those slippery variables 'though.

As a kid I remember watching footage from the Vietnam war on the tea time news immediately followed by adverts for Rice Krispies and the like and thinking on the one hand this is insane but also that people seemed to be able to compartmentalise it all and carry on regardless.

I've noticed, as Al says, that posters were quick to supply alternatives such as custard pies or lumps of dung to be proffered so there obviously is an uneasiness about the 'punching in the face' concept. Which is good in my book.

I hate the literal idea of violence as a 'solution' to anything but can see how language and circumstance can place the notion of 'violence' into different frames of reference, whether it's Tom & Jerry, computer combat games, Ade Edmonson hitting Rik Mayall with a frying pan, Jonathan Swift, Kurt Vonnegut, Joseph Hellier or shock value stand up comedy etc.

Apologies for being all 'pseud's cornerish' on this but I'd also like it to be known that I have a face too if anyone feels sufficiently agitated by this post.

iscalad

Fair enough.
But I can’t separate a thread like this from the forum more generally.
I think it’s best I bow out and leave you and others to it.
All the best.
Just don't read this thread. I don't read the politics thread, PL thread, or any other thread that doesn't interest me.

fred binneys head

I see the thread title more as “who do you find exceptionally annoying?” but just worded in (as Spoonz says) a cartoon style, not asking people who they would actually physically assault if they were stood in front of them.

But I can see where Bridgy is coming from and respect his view. I hope his message isn’t saying that he’s leaving Exeweb as that would be a shame, but I think it is. Hopefully these last few messages are sufficient to convince him to stay on Exeweb and be able to live with the fact that some threads aren’t to his taste.

Like Spoonz, I’m not a fan of the ‘yay or nay’ thread and never have been, and I’ve never offered an opinion on that thread as a result. I know Exeweb has an ‘ignore poster’ facility (which I use for two people on here), maybe it would be good to have an ‘ignore thread’ facility if that’s possible, so people don’t even have to see any threads that offend them? Just a thought.

tavyred

What an anodyne world we’re creating for ourselves. 🙄

elginCity

Post #3 - interestingly and for context, a female, ECFC Nursey, suggested ‘punching’ the first female - Denise Van Outen. No misogyny, tongue-in-cheek, nothing literal, no advocating of violence, just a bit of social club fun n games sharing who people find particularly irritating or mildly annoying on the tele mostly. That’s all it was, and still is ? How did we get to this ?

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry, Bridgy, it's just that some people look better with their features hidden behind a custard pie.

DB9

As others have said Bridgy, If you don't like the thread don't read it, No one forces you too. I don't read "Beat the Bookie" thread beause it does not interest me.

Alistair20000

As others have said Bridgy, If you don't like the thread don't read it, No one forces you too. I don't read "Beat the Bookie" thread beause it does not interest me.
**Shakes fist** :)

• Haha
Reactions: DB9