• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Twitter doing us proud by getting #TurdReich to trend in response.
Now now Hermann. You're surely not trying to imply that our present administration are a bunch of faechists?

Condoms in the Cherwell?
Turds in the Thames?
Andrex in the Avon?
Who knows where this ends?

Last edited:

Grecian2K

You gotta "Level up?
Or is it "slow things down?
Heck, once you've lied to get those votes
You can just spin things round
But you might just find
In three year's time
Folk re-making their mind up

(With apologies to BJ's Spooneristic tribute band "Bucks Fiz")
HS2 trains to run on existing track as part of government scaling back (msn.com)
Those former "red wall" voters in the "northern powerhouse" were really sold a pup, weren't they!

angelic upstart

The government's preoccupation with online abuse in the wake of recent tragic events is very interesting, given that by all accounts online abuse had absolutely nothing to do with it. Also interesting the charge is being led by Nadine Dorries, who has a bit of form on social media, to put it mildly.

Add to that a couple of instances of Conservative MPs branding fairly innocuous social media comments as abuse, and a cynical person might suspect that they are attempting to use a tragedy to shut down legitimate questions. Luckily I am not so cynical.

The latest manufactured "culture war" so I suspect in this instance they can give Muslim terrorists a free pass being silencing critics is more important.

Incidentally, I'm not against losing online anonymity. I saw some fool saying they didn't want it to happen as it wouldn't make a satire account they run as funny.

Spoonz Red E

The latest manufactured "culture war" so I suspect in this instance they can give Muslim terrorists a free pass being silencing critics is more important.

Incidentally, I'm not against losing online anonymity. I saw some fool saying they didn't want it to happen as it wouldn't make a satire account they run as funny.
It's true that online anonymity gives power to trolls.
Algorithms exacerbate that power by routing and filtering.

There does need to be some anonymised means for whistleblowers, reporters from within oppressive regimes etc.

angelic upstart

Surely it could work very similarly to what we have with TV/print media?

angelic upstart

On a separate note, I'm very pleased to see a large rise in the minimum wage in the upcoming budget.

Let's hope there's no additional rises in tax or loss of future pension benefits to offset this.

Spoonz Red E

To an extent.

The big difference, of course, is that the filter then is what the TV/print media deem 'publishable' and a lot of that is commercially driven.
A worry for me with public interest channels being under threat worldwide.

Grecian2K

Given their continuing pressure to put the dreadful Dacre at the reins I sincerely hope not. As if Mad Nad wasn't bad enought....

elginCity

Vote Conservative - Get Sh!t
Still, when you next see all that brown froth washing past you it will, at least, give literal meaning to the phrase "Tory Scum"
A Brexshit benefit ?

DB9

Twitter doing us proud by getting #TurdReich to trend in response.

Funnily enough some of the social media activity I mentioned above is in relation to this:
This Davies MP, What is he talking about? I know what he's alluding to but what the other person said is a fair and just statement with no reference or heated, vile language, He's just trying (Very badly) to deflect his own hypocrisy.