• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
The same electoral register for general elections being used?
No massive fraud then? Pointless, I think we're lucky in this country we don't have fraud in any big form, We use a pencil and paper, Put a cross then into a box, its an old system that works, Individuals probably try but as I'm aware of there has been no widespread fraud in a GE, You (People in General) really want to start the fraud thing without evidence? that worked so well in the US

angelic upstart

The fraud thing is strange in the UK. Let's say they was a swing seat in Plymouth and one of the parties decided to do some sneaky underhand tactics at the voting booth. The idea of 5 or 10 people walking in, choosing a name and address, voting and then either surreptitiously wandering to a nearby polling booth and doing that and then starting again from scratch and no one noticing is fairly small.

I love a conspiracy, and I hate the way we have elections. But the system works fairly well. Just the paranoid looking for issues that aren't there.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
The fraud thing is strange in the UK. Let's say they was a swing seat in Plymouth and one of the parties decided to do some sneaky underhand tactics at the voting booth. The idea of 5 or 10 people walking in, choosing a name and address, voting and then either surreptitiously wandering to a nearby polling booth and doing that and then starting again from scratch and no one noticing is fairly small.

I love a conspiracy, and I hate the way we have elections. But the system works fairly well. Just the paranoid looking for issues that aren't there.
It's virtually impossible to swing an election using in-person fraud, unless there is only a couple of votes in it. You'd have to have a pretty good idea of how many votes was needed to win, or you risk flipping too many and making it look suspicious. Then you'd have to somehow find people that you were sure weren't going to vote. It would be a massive operation just to steal one seat, let alone a whole election.

tavyred

The ways things are going, with the break-up of the UK the individual nations may well reapply to re-join the EU.
Its their choice of course, but they’d be incredibly stupid if they did. Scotland erecting a hard border with a nation that buys 60% of its stuff would be hilarious.

elginCity

Its their choice of course, but they’d be incredibly stupid if they did. Scotland erecting a hard border with a nation that buys 60% of its stuff would be hilarious.
This comment is off the Irony Richter Scale.

Stupid he says, ignoring the fact that Scotland would be able to re-enter the single market, unfettered access to 500 million potential customers.

DB9

Stupid he says, ignoring the fact that Scotland would be able to re-enter the single market, unfettered access to 500 million potential customers.
It will be a 10 year process for Scotland to rejoin the EU Elgy, That's from the EU themselves, 10 years out on their own would be be tough I think.

elginCity

It will be a 10 year process for Scotland to rejoin the EU Elgy, That's from the EU themselves, 10 years out on their own would be be tough I think.
Would you provide a link, please, DB ? Having googled what you claim, I can only find a Vote Leave Government 'Think Tank' opining it'll take 10 years, thanks.

DB9

Would you provide a link, please, DB ? Having googled what you claim, I can only find a Vote Leave Government 'Think Tank' opining it'll take 10 years, thanks.
Like you trying to Google this and can't find it but the report from the EU was in the Independent a while back when this was first mooted, I do think its down to the way the EU do things, IE very slowly, All nations have to agree and i'd imagine with someone like Spain there maybe a cause for concern if Scotland tried.

tavyred

We’ve had this discussion before, but Scotland leaving the U.K. would dwarf the ramifications of the U.K. leaving the EU.
It’s important we compare like with like, the U.K. is a proper political union 300 hundred years in the making, the EU is an increasingly fractious collection of nations who have aspirations of a closer political Union but it is proving difficult to keep some of its members signed up to that aspiration.
Interesting admission from Merkel yesterday I thought when she suggested to the Dutch, French and the Irish, who want the errant Poles ‘punished’, “we must learn the lessons of Brexit, Brexit could’ve been avoided”.
Merkel is probably freed up to say what she really thinks now, but it seems the European narrative of Brexit being a colossal act of a left harm may be changing now to how the hell did we let the U.K. go.
A change in language some of us said would happen, especially if Brexit is the benign change in emphasis for the U.K. it’s looking like it’s going to be.

Mr Jinx

“Brexit could’ve been avoided”.
Merkel, the speaker of truths. In fact it could've easily been avoided. If only, Mütti, if only....

Too late now though....guffaw! Now she, or to be more accurate, her successor has got to stop the rest of the house of cards from falling down. Good luck with that!

Last edited: