• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
As regards Angela Rayner I am hoping she takes on board what Sir Lindsay Hoyle had to say about a need for greater kindness in politics.

I always thought of Sir David Amess as a very partisan Tory. See election night declarations in Basildon. The tributes from across the political spectrum paint a rather different picture. He combined his passion for his policies and causes with great courtesy and civility.
Unfortunatly Al, Much as people don't want to hear it but since 2016 the politcal spectrum has been at such polar opposites that there is real dislike on both sides of the house, What we saw with Sir David (RIP) is a case of something we don't hear enough, Good MP's that do a fantasic job in their constiuenties but all we hear is Blue one side, Red the other side, We don't see them as people doing their jobs, We see a tiny part of each party on the front benches, Those behind not in Government or the Shadow Cabinet get lumped into the jaw dropping idiots we see all too often in the media.

tavyred

She retweeted Starmer's
The accusation against AR is that she’s been missing in action since her and SKS tweeted their initial shock at the attack.
It is being said she has not thus far referenced (including retweets) David Amess’s murder on Twitter, or perhaps anywhere else.
Strange behaviour for the deputy leader of HM’s official opposition. 🤷‍♂️

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
The accusation against AR is that she’s been missing in action since her and SKS tweeted their initial shock at the attack.
It is being said she has not thus far referenced (including retweets) David Amess’s murder on Twitter, or perhaps anywhere else.
If you say so.

angelic upstart

What do you want her to do?
What has Dominic Raab done differently? I say that as they have the same job just she's in opposition.

Grecian2K

If you say so.
Of course, if HE says so it must be true. 🤔

Perhaps AR should adopt the Queen Victoria system and adopt "widows weeds" for the rest of he life while tearfully sobbing as she repeatedly jabs the "resend" button on Twitter?

Or, perhaps, having already expressed her sincere disgust and dismay at events, retain a dignified and respectful silence? And, at very least, not try to make cheap and nasty political points over the tragedy....unlike some.

tavyred

What do you want her to do?
What has Dominic Raab done differently? I say that as they have the same job just she's in opposition.

I would expect the deputy leader of the Labour Party to be sat next to SKS during the tributes yesterday as they “reached across the house” in sympathy to the Government benches.
I’m surprised some on here can’t see how strange her apparent absence appears.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would expect the deputy leader of the Labour Party to be sat next to SKS during the tributes yesterday as they “reached across the house” in sympathy to the Government benches.
I’m surprised some on here can’t see how strange her apparent absence appears.
It's probably because we don't care

Grecian2K

She might have been delayed in her office....trying to recover her Twitter password? 🙄
(After all, that seems to be all that counts in some quarters)

Antony Moxey

Away from all that, Johnson gleefully announced amidst the tributes yesterday that Southend had been granted city status, with commentators declaring it be advantageous for the town and a positive economically.

In what way? Does it genuinely make a difference whether you're a town or a city?

Grecian2K

In what way? Does it genuinely make a difference whether you're a town or a city?
If you live in Exeter (or even Truro) I'd say it does!
On the other hand, if you live in that benighted swamp twixt the two counties I'd say an emphatic NO!
The one thing that wasn't mentioned though was which donors/cronies would be awarded the contract to build the requisite cathedral?